It took us longer than usual to make this image available on CircleCI. We understand that this delay created bottlenecks for your team, and we never want that to happen.
When we started building the Xcode 10.2 image, we included additional software in the image per customer requests. After our initial builds of the new image, we realized that the amount of available disk space had dropped significantly (~33%). We decided this would be unacceptable to release to customers and immediately moved to diagnose the root cause and explore possible solutions. Due to limitations in our technical processes, diagnosis and remediation of the situation took multiple days, delaying our release.
We are putting a process in place to test the impact of installing additional software on the disk space in our macOS images ahead of time.
Thank you very much for your patience and your understanding. Please comment here if you notice any issues with the Xcode 10.2 image or have any feedback.
I don’t use this image, and I don’t have any special insight into CircleCI’s release process. However, given that there was some unexpected difficulties delivering the latest image, I would hazard a guess that bumping up the underlying OS is not something CircleCI would be happy doing in a hurry - it might have the capacity to break things for other customers.
Is there any sort of workaround for this at the Homebrew level?
Just as a quick fix till the new image is out you can set HOMEBREW_NO_AUTO_UPDATE: 1 to stop homebrew from auto-updating and not allowing installation due to the os version not being met. This should hopefully get you through till the release of a new image.
I would really appreciate if someone from CircleCI would share a status around Xcode 10.2.1.
Is this something that you are planning to support?
When is it planned to be supported?
Being completely silent around these (for some users) important updates of Xcode is not the right way in my opinion. I know about your estimates at Build Image Update Schedule but given the latest history this doesn’t reflect real life so I hope you can share some more information with your customers.
We were not expecting another release after Xcode 10.2 so soon, and we have to do some cleanup of older images before we can release a new one. We are actively working on the cleanup and should have it completed in the next few days and unblock the deployment of the Xcode 10.2.1 image. We will provide more updates here as we make progress.