Project Suspended - Accused of Mining Cryptocurrency

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate CircleCI, we are a legitimate business that has nothing to do with cryptocurrency. I just setup my first pipeline using a self-hosted runner and upon trying to run the pipeline for the first time, I received a message stating the account was suspended due to “suspicious activity” with references to mining cryptocurrency.

Since when is setting something up suspicious? There is nothing suspicious in what we are doing, we are using a self-hosted runner according to the documentation and have linked our Bitbucket account. Everything done on US-based, non-foreign machines. I have used CircleCI many other times and never encountered anything like this before.

I opened a support ticket #131986 but was told it would be 3-5 business days before someone could even look at it?! Really!?

If I don’t get a response soon I will be forced to look for alternatives and definitely won’t be using CircleCI again in the future for any of my clients.

I’m sorry to say that many of us providing support here are volunteers and so do not have any ability to look at account-based issues.

What I can say is that while the reply states 3-5 business days the support team normally gets back to the ticket raiser far quicker, but the weekend will impact the speed at which they reply.

Thanks for raising this issue @jleppert – our crypto team agreed this shouldn’t happen, and will filter the flag to avoid false positives for self-hosted runners

Just curious what triggered the flag? Was it the long timeout I added to the runner?