Using latest stable Docker CE with CircleCI

How to make sure that CircleCI uses the same stable Docker CE version for building images that is available from official repository?

0 Likes

The way I would do this is to make the official Ubuntu repo your build image, and then install Docker in there (e.g. apt-get install docker.io). From there you can do your building, and whenever there are updates in the parent image/repo (including to Docker) you will get them automatically.

0 Likes

docker.io is not the recommended way to install Docker CE, and the link above doesn’t reference it.

0 Likes

It was the old name for Debian. Looks like the docs changes in Jan

0 Likes

Yes, indeed. I used to use docker.io in my Ubuntu/Mint environments before switching to using a live repo feed to pull the latest Docker updates directly. I forget what I used most recently.

@abitrolly I wonder though whether I misunderstood the question. I assumed “the … stable Docker CE version … that is available from official repository” meant the Ubuntu repository, not the Docker repository. The version of Docker in Ubuntu will always lag behind latest Docker stable, and I thought that was what you wanted.

If your question is that you want to get the latest Docker CE, then add the Docker repo to your Ubuntu build server, do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and then install Docker in the way the manual recommends.

If this does not answer your question, would you expand on what you are looking to achieve?

0 Likes

How to make Docker executor use that latest image?

0 Likes