Using latest stable Docker CE with CircleCI

How to make sure that CircleCI uses the same stable Docker CE version for building images that is available from official repository?

The way I would do this is to make the official Ubuntu repo your build image, and then install Docker in there (e.g. apt-get install docker.io). From there you can do your building, and whenever there are updates in the parent image/repo (including to Docker) you will get them automatically.

docker.io is not the recommended way to install Docker CE, and the link above doesn’t reference it.

It was the old name for Debian. Looks like the docs changes in Jan

Yes, indeed. I used to use docker.io in my Ubuntu/Mint environments before switching to using a live repo feed to pull the latest Docker updates directly. I forget what I used most recently.

@abitrolly I wonder though whether I misunderstood the question. I assumed “the … stable Docker CE version … that is available from official repository” meant the Ubuntu repository, not the Docker repository. The version of Docker in Ubuntu will always lag behind latest Docker stable, and I thought that was what you wanted.

If your question is that you want to get the latest Docker CE, then add the Docker repo to your Ubuntu build server, do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and then install Docker in the way the manual recommends.

If this does not answer your question, would you expand on what you are looking to achieve?

My question is how to make Docker executor use that latest image that is recommended on official Docker CE page? There is no way to create custom executor with apt-get update and the rest of commands, right?

Hi Anatoli. Sorry I missed this. If you are using the machine executor https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/executor-types/#using-machine you can update Docker or anything else with apt-get as normal.