Unable to publish dev version of orb

The orb-tools/publish-dev job in our pipeline is failing with the message

Error: Unable to publish orb: Non-nullable field was null.
Something unexpected happened.

Exited with code exit status 255

I have upgraded to the latest version of the orb-tools and copied the example configuration in your documentation, but the error persists.

This was working in the past and I don’t see any changes on our side that could have caused this. You can find the source code here.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I’m going to tag our orb experts @KyleTryon and @gmemstr to see if they have any thoughts.

Hello @tomvanbraband

Non-nullable field was null.
Something unexpected happened

This can only be caused by one of three possible situations.

1. You have not provided a Personal API Token (make sure this a personal token, not a project token)
  2. You do not have the proper permissions.
  3. The API is unstable/down

https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/orb-author-intro/#permissions-matrix

To create an orb the token used must belong to an owner of the organization which owns the namespace.

Looking at the output I can see:

CIRCLE_TOKEN=REDACTED

So your token has been injected but may no longer be valid if perhaps it was generated by a user who has left the organization.

This also can sometimes just happen if the API is slow or unstable. I would recommend first, just re-running the job.

If re-running still does not work at this point, it is almost certainly the key being used. If you have access to it (or SSH in)( you can test the key manually in the CLI, but I would just jump to creating a new one for testing.

Let us know if this works for you.