[skip ci] still triggers workflow

I’m committing code with [skip ci] in the commit message.
On workflows that start with an approval step, these are queued as normal. If approved then the job will be skipped Your build was not run - reason code (:ci-skip).
As commits that include a commit message of [skip ci] can never be run the initial approval should never be queued & they should never show in the workflow list

Hi @timothyclarke,

Thank you for reporting this. I was able to reproduce this; the workflow does appear in the workflow list in “On Hold” status even when [skip ci] is specified in the commit message, although once approved the workflow will be in Not Run status as expected. I’ll be sharing this bug report with the team.

For anyone else following this. As a work around I’ve set my builds to have a simple “echo hello world” step before my approvals. That way it fails on that task instead of having a bunch of approval steps waiting

Hello, is there any update on the subject ?

Hi there! Thanks for asking. Using [skip ci] in a commit message currently results in a “Not Run” status - can you let us know at support@circleci.com with a pipeline link if you’re seeing a different result?