Locking threads

It would be nice if forum threads were never locked unless absolutely necessary. I sometimes come upon a thread and have a question / comment to add but the thread is locked.

Hi @caleb15 thanks for sharing your feedback, it is much appreciated! At this time, a topic automatically closes 10 days after a solution is posted. This helps ensure our threads do not hold any outdated information, but we are open to discussion about this.

While you can’t reply to locked threads, you can create a new topic from the locked thread itself:

1. Click “share a link to this post”

2. Click “New Topic” to create a new topic

3. The “Create a new Topic” form will pop up, referencing the locked thread. Add your additional message then click “Create Topic”

Let us know if that works for you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response.

This helps ensure our threads do not hold any outdated information, but we are open to discussion about this.

If you want to ensure threads don’t have outdated information I would suggest not locking threads so comments with up-to-date information can be posted on old threads with outdated information.

I appreciate your feedback here @caleb15 - it is not taken likely.

Given that our community forum here has threads, content, etc. from the last few years - and CircleCI continues to evolve over time with feedback from developers like you - it is important to make sure that old threads that may have outdated information about the service or refer to something that has changed don’t rise to the top over more relevant information. This is the big reason why communities like ours, and Discourse (the underlying forum system), auto-close a topic once a solution has been determined.

The steps that @angelisa laid out are great, and provide a good way to continue the conversation without resurfacing older information and/or threads.

Again, I want to thank you for your feedback and participation. It means a lot!