Docker-compose issue - Change from 10/30 to 10/31

Last night, my automated build ran properly and created all of its containers correctly:

Creating docker_redis_1 …
Creating docker_cowbull_svc_1 …
Creating docker_cowbull_webapp_1 …

And my tests were able to run successfully. Today (10/31) and the container names have been appended with a random identifier, making it impossible to connect to them:

Creating docker_redis_1_6c62b2eb2cd9 …
Creating docker_cowbull_svc_1_994bd24bd543 …
Creating docker_cowbull_webapp_1_2b7fe6543442 …

Is this a bug or a change in behaviour

David

Are you using a machine executor or a Docker executor? For either one, which image are you using?

(If you wish, you can install Docker Compose yourself, right down to a specific version).

I’m using the Docker executor. It’s worked for months but the behaviour just changed overnight - literally ran my last build about 8pm Eastern and then tonight it failed because of the container names; here’s the snipped of code

- setup_remote_docker

- run:
          name: Docker login
          command: |
            docker login --username=$doclog --password=$docpass

- run:
          name: Docker up
          environment:
            COWBULL_ENVIRONMENT: "CircleCI"
          command: |
            set -o pipefail
            export BUILD_NUMBER=$MAJOR_VERSION"."$MINOR_VERSION"."$CIRCLE_BUILD_NUM
            export doclog=${doclog}
            echo "Testing ${BUILD_NUMBER}"
            docker-compose -f vendor/docker/docker-compose-cicd.yml up -d

:slight_smile:

Hi, I’m using

jobs:
  build:
    docker:
      - image: circleci/python:2.7

OK. Have a look to see whether your version of Docker or Docker Compose changed. If you re-run the one that used to work, does that still work? I wonder if an upstream change has broken things for you.

That could come from a CircleCI change in their convenience image, but equally it could come upstream from them, and there is not much they can do about that. I have installed a specific version of DC using Pip, on a bare-bones Docker image, and it has been rock-solid for ~12 months (daily builds).

I was finally able to fix this by doing a workaround - basically looking at the docker ps output to grab the name of the container:

docker-compose -f vendor/docker/docker-compose-cicd.yml up -d
webapp=$(docker ps -a --format '{{.Names}}' | grep "docker_cowbull_webapp_1_")
echo "export webapp=$webapp" >> $BASH_ENV

The tests have been running regularly (at least once a week) for 3 months and I can’t figure out why this broke; however, the cludge code above at least gets the tests running again. The cause appears to be the difference in naming standards (appending a random identifier) which started last week.

PS. the last line echo "export webapp=$webapp" >> $BASH_ENV ensures that the env. var. with the container name is passed to the next step.

Hopefully this might help if anyone else runs in to this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.