Would you like to see Ubuntu 20.10 and 21.04 images?

Hey everyone. The CircleCI Base Convenience Image includes Ubuntu 20.04 (the default) as well as Ubuntu 18.04. The current plan is to continue with these Ubuntu LTS releases.

In addition to the LTS releases, would anyone be interested in us carrying all Ubuntu releases? This would currently mean Ubuntu 20.10 and 21.04 when it comes out in April.

1 Like

I’d keep using only LTS, they are updated after all.

1 Like

To add some more context, a scenario I could imagine this being useful is testing an install for a desktop application. It’s a situation where you might want to test on the non-LTS releases.

For backend applications, I definitely don’t think there’s a need.

Sorry as I’m mostly focused on backend now I completely forgot to take into account desktop apps. Desktop apps could make sense on non LTS.

A stupid question: why do not provide ubuntu-server LTS and ubuntu-desktop the latest greatest release?

This is what I’m gauging. Whenever we put out new images, we then need to back it with support and maintenance. I’m trying to determine if there’s a demand for non-LTs and/or desktop images. So far it’s looking like it’s a no but I figured I’d put the question out there. :slight_smile:

Personally, I would like to see non LTS images as it would be handy for testing desktop apps

The kernel shipped with ubuntu 20.04 does not support io-uring features which are starting to be supported by major Rust projects. It would be great to see a recent version available rather than waiting for 22.04.

So this thread is about Convenience Images, which are Docker based. In this scenario, the images don’t get to control the kernel version at all. It’s provided by the server host, which is a different team than mine. For that kernel, I’m not sure what the timeline is for releases but I do know that an update to use a 5.x kernel is coming soon. Hopefully that helps?

2 Likes