Why Exclude phantomjs from circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers?

https://hub.docker.com/r/circleci/ruby/tags/

I’ve used circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers on CircleCi 2.0

version: 2
jobs:
  build:
    docker:
      - image: circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers

and it has been working until a while ago.
But now the feature test with phantomJS doesnt work.

the error message is below

Cliver::Dependency::NotFound:
            Could not find an executable ["phantomjs"] on your path.

I investigated somehow

now circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers does not include phantomJS

bash-3.2$ docker run -t circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers
phantomjs -v
/bin/sh: 1: phantomjs: not found

and previous version of circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers: circleci/ruby@sha256:838b04d9c3e7d31b7e6b93cbbec32fb5a3f406d6bdefd8ed75354ade00b23eaa
DOES work

bash-3.2$ docker run -it circleci/ruby@sha256:838b04d9c3e7d31b7e6b93cbbec32fb5a3f406d6bdefd8ed75354ade00b23eaa
phantomjs -v

Why exclude phantomjs from circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers ?

1 Like

I am having same issue with different image, using legacy version of docker images seems working
i.e. 2.3.7-node-browsers-legacy

I’m getting the same issue with 2.3.7-node-browsers

I don’t know the reason, but I’d guess it’s related to the PhantomJS project being abandoned (last time I checked). I seem to recall the team of committers were recommending people use Chromium with a local driver now.

(I use PhantomJS too, but I don’t use convenience images - I use my own custom image).

2 Likes

Looks like they somewhat silently deprecated PhantomJS in https://github.com/circleci/circleci-images/pull/256 but it’s still available with the “-legacy” suffix like so: circleci/ruby:2.3.7-node-browsers-legacy.

3 Likes

While it was admittedly only a few days ago, we did announce PhantomJS specifically would be moved to the -legacy tag here. Apologies for any inconvenience.

3 Likes

Where is the announcement?

Right here Docker Public Convenience Images Update: Firefox

3 Likes

Ah thanks. Now watching.

So is that why PhantomJS was removed? Due to the PhantomJS project being abandoned? If so that makes sense; however, the PR listing the change that was done does not explain why it is being done. It just says that “Removes PhantomJS” :(.

An explanation as to why this is being done would be appreciated …

You’ve got it – the project’s maintainer has left, and it looks like it’s no longer going to be maintained:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.