UI doesn't update when builds start/end/fail - require full page reload

ui

Hi,

I’m using Chromium on Ubuntu and recently have noticed that the UI is not reflecting changes live as it used to. For example, not too long ago (maybe a month) i could push some commits and trigger a job and the dashboard would almost instantly show the new job queued, then building etc. Now this doesn’t happen, I have to refresh the page to see changes. I don’t see anything obviously wrong - no javascript errors in the console.

It’s not super critical or anything, but it was nice when the UI would pick up changes automatically and display them. The actual build/job screen displaying each step updates just fine, in realtime as the job progresses - so seems to just be the jobs dashboard. I have also tried FireFox and it’s the same there.

On further inspection it appear that the api call to “https://circleci.com/api/v1.1/organization/bitbucket/name-of-bitbucket-org” only ever happens on first page load, and never again. This might be the reason.

6 Likes

I’m trying to report this also… I have the same issue. UI won’t update. I have to refresh. This is a MAJOR issue to me, since I’ll often have multiple builds in progress, and waiting for some to finish before I move on. Now It is interrupting my flow to have to refresh that page.

2 Likes

Ditto! (Linking to my report for reference.)

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in responding. This is something we are aware is very annoying, we are investigating and will get it resolved when we can.

0 Likes

We have made some changes and believe this to be resolved. Please let me know if you are still seeing this.

0 Likes

I’ve also been experiencing this issue for the past couple of weeks, and don’t think it’s resolved yet. I’m using Chromium on Arch linux (Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)).
My colleague uses Chrome on Manjaro and has been experiencing the same issue. It used to work perfectly, now it’s really annoying having to refresh the whole page to get status updates.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ll let the engineers know it’s still an issue.

0 Likes

Hi - any word on when this might be fixed - it’s starting to get really really annoying. All our builds are now multi-step workflows. Hitting page reload every 30 seconds to see whats going on is not a great experience.

0 Likes

Hi Andy. The team is testing some fixes they think may solve this, so I’m hoping it is resolved soon. I agree it’s pretty frustrating.

1 Like

Web UI Not Updating as Builds Finish

I have also been experiencing this, going on for a couple of weeks now. The issue has been occurring today, and is quite pervasive throughout the entire CircleCI web ui. Nothing seems to update automatically anymore, any changes in status (even when interacting manually, such as manually canceling a job or workflow) requires manually refreshing the site to actually see the correct status on the web page. This has effectively rendered all the various dashboards in CircleCI unusable, as the only things that seem to update are run timers…and even those will count past the completion time of a job if the site is not refreshed.

0 Likes

I’ve been affected by the screen refresh issue, probably for around the last six weeks. I assumed it had been turned off deliberately, since it affects me in Firefox/Mint and Firefox/Win10.

Of course, it is rather an overstatement to say that the system is unusable. It’s a minor inconvenience, but it’s not an emergency (I click on a different screen and then click back again). Carry on! :smiley_cat:

0 Likes

Well, I don’t mean to make the situation sound too dire. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do, however, see a dashboard as a tool that keeps you informed, and generally “informed at a glance”. Right now, with the issue as it exists at present, the CCI dashboards are not keeping me informed. They are indeed keeping me with my finger on the refresh button every minute or two, but they are otherwise not doing their job to keep me informed at a glance, and we often have numerous builds for multiple projects in progress that we are waiting on.

I’ve been in the same boat today, spamming refresh buttons on the CCI site. I am wondering if there is a deeper issue here. Half the time when I refresh a page, I’ll get a spinner or two in various different areas of the dashboard and they will just spin and hang. Sometimes this will last for 5-10 minutes before I can get the site to actually respond again. I am not sure if this is just a byproduct of an increased number of CCI users doing the same thing I am…manually refreshing the site to get current status, so the CCI web servers are getting overloaded? Or is this indicative of a potentially deeper issue with CCI’s dashboards?

0 Likes

This is/was also being discussed here:

1 Like