Process "died unexpectedly"

Hello,

I’m having an issue with my builds since 2 months.

It says “./vendor/phpunit/phpunit/phpunit died unexpectedly” & i have no more informations.

My builds were green and without changing build configuration it started to be red.

Do you have any suggestions ?

1 Like

What image are you using? Are you using a CircleCI PHP image, or a Docker image upon which you have installed PHP?

Are you using CircleCI 1.0 or 2.0?

What can you see if you re-run your build with SSH and examine your system logs?

This, is my circle.yml file:

machine:
  php:
    version: 7.0.7

dependencies:
  pre:
    - rm /opt/circleci/php/$(phpenv global)/etc/conf.d/xdebug.ini
    - pecl install mongodb
    - echo "extension = mongodb.so" >> /opt/circleci/php/$(phpenv global)/etc/php.ini

test:
  override:
    - ./vendor/phpunit/phpunit/phpunit

I’m using php 7.0.7 with circle ci 1.0.

Sys logs tell me that it’s a segmentation fault error.

Ah, sorry, didn’t see your reply.

The first thing I’d do is to examine your tests for memory consumption. Do they run OK locally? You could add a shutdown handler in your tests (e.g. in your bootstrap) to print the max memory that you’re using. I would expect the machine you’re using to have 4G of RAM, so if you’re getting anything over 3G (which would be highly excessive anyway) then that would need to be cut down.

Secondly, you could use the SSH feature in CircleCI to run some experiments. How far do your tests go before crashing? Does it run any at all? Is it a particular test it gets stuck on? Can you use --filter to run some tests OK?

Finally, if that does not get you anywhere, I would try bumping up to CircleCI 2.0. You get more control over your machine if you move to Docker.