macOS Resource Deprecation Update

As we announced in October, we will be deprecating the macOS medium and large resource classes later this year. This deprecation will have two phases. See below for the timeline and details of each phase.

1. Phase 1 - mid-March 2023
    a. Xcode 14.2.0 is the last Xcode version that will be supported by medium and large.
    b. We will automatically upgrade jobs for customers on our Free plan to our Gen2 resources (macos.x86.medium.gen2).

2. Phase 2 - October 2, 2023
    a. The macOS medium and large resource classes are no longer available.
    b. Any jobs specifying medium and large will fail with an Invalid resource class error.
    c. If your project config doesn’t specify a macOS resource class, jobs will be defaulted to macos.x86.medium.gen2.

If you are using the medium resource, we recommend updating to our Gen2 resource.

• Update the resource class key in your configuration file from medium to macos.x86.medium.gen2.
  • Building with Gen2 will reduce your time to market by up to 50%

If you are using the large resource, we recommend updating to M1 (available now!)

• Our M1 resource offers 12 GB of memory and enables up to 2x faster builds and the ability to run E2E tests, for a seamless, optimized build experience.
  • Access to M1 will be available only on the Scale and Custom plans. Please contact your CSM to change your plan, if needed, and build with M1.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions!

1 Like

How does medium and large being removed interact with the “24 hour minimum requirement”?
Making CI/CD provider decisions this week, and need to understand how pricing works for a dedicated host. @alexazl

Pricing: CircleCI Resource Classes - CircleCI
https://i.imgur.com/AAAEMWb.png
“24 hours required, 100 credits a minute”, does this mean a day of macos is 144000 credits?

A little more description is provided in the docs linked below, but yes it would mean 24 hours of credit

The link also provides the background as to why there is a 24-hour minimum. If you have any in-house MacOS systems available you can also look at deploying the self-hosted runner so that you run everything in-house with no credit costs.

1 Like

Only our dedicated hosts have a 24-hour minimum and are not impacted by the medium and large deprecation.

If you don’t need a bare metal option, you can use one of our other macOS resource classes - Gen2 medium (macos.x86.medium.gen2) or M1 large (macos.m1.large.gen1). You can still use the medium and large before they’re deprecated on October 2, though they won’t have support for any Xcode versions after Xcode 14.2.

Let us know if you have any questions or would like to speak with someone about finding the right solution for you!

1 Like

Does this affect use of the mac-executor executor, too?

@christhegrand Apologies, but I’m not sure I understand your question. This deprecation only impacts macOS medium and large. All other macOS resource classes will continue to be available for use.

I’m seeing a warning (pasted below) on our builds about this deprecation. However, I don’t think we’re using any macOS resources. Is this banner/warning being blasted to everyone regardless if the affected resources are being used?

“macOS Gen1 being sunsetted on October 2. Our “medium”, “large” and Dedicated Host macOS resource classes will no longer be available after October 2. Please update your config to avoid build errors.”

@takecare Yes, that banner is visible to all customers. If you don’t use macOS resources, you can ignore it.