iTunesConnect distribution (shenzen) error: ipa not found

osx
known-issue

I have been building and distributing to iTunes connect successfully on my project for over a month now, and just today I started seeing the following error during the distribution step of our project (I’ve x’d out our AppleID):

ipa distribute:itunesconnect -i xxxxxxxxxx --upload --verbose
bash: line 1: ipa: command not found

ipa distribute:itunesconnect -i xxxxxxxxxx --upload --verbose returned exit code 127

Action failed: ipa distribute:itunesconnect -i xxxxxxxxxx --upload --verbose

This is a strange one, because I haven’t changed our configuration or had this problem in the past (and we’ve successfully distributed many times). Here’s the deployment configuration found in my circle.yml file:

deployment:
  staging:
    branch: master
    commands:
      - gym
      - ipa distribute:itunesconnect -i xxxxxxxxxx --upload --verbose

Is anyone else experiencing this problem recently, and if so- what solution do you recommend? I’ve tried rebuilding several times but that’s about it.

Thanks!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We just released a new macOS image and it looks like there are a couple issues.

We are looking into this right now and will provide an update here.

Thank you very much!! I also SSH’d into my build and verified ipa doesn’t exist (as expected).

Thanks for your patience! The solution is that we need to re-install shenzhen against the newer version of Ruby. We will need to do this in a future image update.

The work around for now is to manually install shenzhen. The easiest way to do this is to add the following to your circle.yml

dependencies:
  pre:
    - gem install shenzhen

This will allow you to use the ipa command. I will update this thread when the workaround is no longer necessary. Thanks again!

I added the dependencies and it worked as expected. I’ll remove the dependencies once I see the issue has been resolved.

Thank you for the quick responses, Lev!

My pleasure! Thank you for confirming that the workaround works.

Thanks for the bug report and effective workaround. Is there an quick mac image rev planned anytime soon, or is this something I need to plan to live with for a while? Over a third of my build time is spent on the gem installation.