I am having a problem in circle-ci and I have been working for hours and can not resolve it

I have a project that I need to build CICD for it, the project is not my code and I should not be changing anything in it

The link to the project is : GitHub - udacity/cdond-c3-projectstarter: Cloud DevOps C3 Refresh Project Starter - Build CI/CD Pipelines, Monitoring & Logging - Spring 2020

I have build the config.yml for it as following

jobs:
build-frontend:
docker:
- image: cimg/node:13.8.0
steps:
- checkout
- restore_cache:
keys: [frontend-build]
- run:
name: Build front-end
command: |
cd frontend
npm install
npm audit fix --force
npm run build
exit 1
- save_cache:
paths: [frontend/node_modules]
key: frontend-build

build-backend:
docker:
- image: cimg/node:13.8.0
steps:
- checkout
- restore_cache:
keys: [backend-build]
- run:
name: Back-end build
command: |
cd backend
npm install
npm audit fix --force
npm run build
exit 1
- save_cache:
paths: [backend/node_modules]
key: backend-build

but I keep getting this error

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! react-native-template-redux-typescript@3.4.0 build: webpack --mode development --progress --colors
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the react-native-template-redux-typescript@3.4.0 build script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/circleci/.npm/_logs/2022-11-14T18_06_06_579Z-debug.log

Exited with code exit status 1
CircleCI received exit code 1

This image is over 3 years old, with the current one being cimg/node:19.0.1

If you are pulling in current npm based products you are likely to just have library/language mismatches.

@rit1010 I used the version you suggest and still have errors

Then the issue will be within the npm environment that is being created as you add your project to the based environment that CircleCi has defined. This is not an area I have any experience in, so you will have to wait for another person to reply or start to do your own discovery.