Go v1.11 CircleCI Docker Image

For any Gophers here… circleci/golang:1.11 is now available as a Docker image.

Woooo. :smile:

We switched to using this yesterday and have been seeing a bunch of weird errors. We’ve seen the linker get killed a number of times:

/usr/local/go/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/link: signal: killed

And

/usr/local/go/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/link: flushing $WORK/b805/urls.test: write $WORK/b805/urls.test: cannot allocate memory

We’ve not seen these issues locally with 1.11.

We’re running a bog standard go test; no race detector. That also hasn’t changed from when we were running tests on 1.10.

For some reason or another, it looks like your build is now using more RAM with Go v1.11 than with 1.10.

How much RAM are we allowed, and how can I monitor the usage for a build?

You have 4G available in your container for the whole thing, including the container OS. If you are on a paid plan and are willing to pay for a container upgrade, 8G and 16G are available.

Do you need the Go upgrade? What does that give you, other than an increase in mem usage? :smiley_cat:

Maybe there is an issue in this version of Go - might be worth perusing the Go bug tracker to see what other people’s experience is.

Here’s a resource for those just starting to upgrade to Golang 1.11: https://circleci.com/blog/go-v1.11-modules-and-circleci/

Did you ever manage to resolve this issue? If so how, by upgrading the container memory?

I just started experiencing this myself in a particular project.