Failed to follow

When attempting to follow a project (which was previously followed but then stopped building out-of-the-blue), the button briefly flashes “Failed to follow” without a clear description of the error.

Looking at console shows 403 unauthorised.

A description of what this error is and how to rectify it would be handy.

What permissions are needed, where?

p.s. Is this discuss page honestly your ticket interface?..

Appears somewhat intermittant.

• Logged out
  • Logged back in
  • Followed project A
  • Failed to follow project B
  • Unfollowed project A
  • Failed to follow project A

Logging back out and in again.

• Logged out
  • Logged back in
  • Followed project A

• Logged out
  • Logged back in
  • Failed to follow project B

We rely on your GitHub (or BB) permissions. I believe that you need to have write access to the project. If you have that access and are getting a 403 - it’s likely either your permissions changed on GH (or GH is effectively down, as it is currently is I write this).

Based on your report, it looks as if you have permission to follow Project A (but frequent requests can sometime trip up the system). It appears you do not have access to Project B. If this is incorrect, then it is indeed a bug.

This is not our ticket interface. This is a Discourse instance we use for our community support. We use it for Feature Requests and attempt to answer Bugs/ give an arena for folks to help themselves, especially those who aren’t ready to pay for engineering support. If you belong to a paid org, you can submit a ticket through our Zendesk ticketing service.

Confirmed permissions exist to the organisation private repo, created and deleted a branch though github UI and via SSH. Project “B” and another “C”.

Also the relog trick appeared to work on two different attempts (unfollowed, relog, refollow), but is yet to work on project “B” and “C”.

We did add another repo to the organisation recently and there was some back and forth on the phone getting the correct permissions set. Perhaps a token has been regenerated somewhere along the line.

If the permissions are correct - the most common solution I know of is removing and re-adding the webhooks. ( turn it off and turn it back on).