Deprecation Notice: Xcode 11.0.0, 11.1.0, 11.2.1, 11.3.1

Hello :wave:

We have flagged the following images as deprecated and will be removing them on 12 January 2022

• Xcode 11.0.0
  • Xcode 11.1.0
  • Xcode 11.2.1
  • Xcode 11.3.1

Emails will be sent to users who have affected projects in due course.

What does this mean for me?

Once an image is removed, the CircleCI jobs that use that image will fail with an error. You will need to update your CircleCI config to use a newer Xcode version to use moving forward. See the CircleCI Testing on iOS document for the full list of Xcode versions that are available for you to use.

Our recommendation is to switch your jobs to the highest version of Xcode you can to minimise any impact of future deprecations.

Why are these images being deprecated?

These Xcode images are the oldest in the Xcode 11 series that we support, and as new Xcode images are being released we need to balance the available capacity for our customers. This has been necessitated by the larger than normal number of releases in the Xcode 11 cycle (8 images). By removing these images, we will ensure we are able to continue releasing new Xcode 13 images quickly and easily, including beta images.

For more information, please see our Xcode Image Policy

If you have any questions about this, please post below. Thanks!

Where’s that email notification, exactly?

Hi,

These were sent out on:

• 20 December 2021
  • 27 December 2021
  • 3 January 2021
  • 10 January 2021

These have been sent to the org admin email address if a project has requested one of the affected images within 4 weeks prior to the email.

Thanks bytesguy. My org did not receive any of these emails, presumably because we didn’t have a build in the timeframe you mentioned.

Is there another way to ensure we get timely notification about breaking changes like this one?

No problem! So it’s a balance for us on blasting emails to everyone who has ever used the images and those who are actively using this. Generally we pick 4 weeks as a happy medium, but there will always be projects that fall outside of this unfortunately.

I would definitely suggest subscribing to the announcements here on Discuss as this is where we always announce new and deprecated images (you can do this by hitting the bell icon in the top right):

1 Like