Access to the old UI will be shut down on August 14th

, ,

Paul,

This was originally a problem for me, since we have 300+ microservices and projects that all need some of the same environment variables. But then I figured out that the v2 API allows for the creation of environment variables via the REST API. I wrote a quick node application that used the API to stick environment variables into the project, and I’ve found this to actually be better than the old import functionality because I can run it from the command line.

Would LOVE the ability to create/provision projects via the command line, so I could 100% automate the creation of a new project from start to finish. But the environment variables endpoint was big for us.

Andrew

2 Likes

Hey @chris_barton thanks for the clarification. If all the pipelines were collapsed by default, would that solve the problem you’re describing and give you better situational awareness like the old UI?

Hey Kate, yep that would be a massive help. After that another enhancement that would be great is to be able to filter on the ‘main branch’ so we can ignore all the ephemeral builds being done by developers. But I guess that won’t work for people that use release branches so I guess it would need to be: show all builds for all projects that occur on a specific branch prefix e.g. ‘master’ or ‘release.*’

1 Like

I’m honestly quite sad to this the existing UI go. I tried to switch to the new one twice and always went back. The new UI looks good visually, but practically, it felt inferior to me. Hopefully it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

2 Likes

hi @Kate_Catlin

This is a real feature your team is straight up dropping support for, please advise

Hi! Can you clarify which feature you’re referring to?

What is happening with Insights? Is there no replacement for that in the new UI?

2 Likes

Hey @thentwrk thanks for asking. The new Insights UI is coming soon!

You can read more about it from my colleague here: CircleCI new UI/UX Review

2 Likes

First off, our team has been enjoying the new UI for quite some time now, but to changes settings, I have been having to switch back to the old UI.

For example, will our environment variables be migrated, or will everything that depends on them just stop working on Aug 14th? Is there a migration guide?

Also, what about the “Advanced Settings”, like " Only build pull requests"? Where will we find them after the changeover?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @pzhine! Welcome to the community.

You should be able to access all of that without switching to the old UI right now. You can go to Project Settings (upper right corner on project) to access your ENV variables and the Advanced Settings.

Thanks @thekatertot. I went to try that, but now I’ve lost the banner to switch to the new UI. I tried clearing my cookies and local storage, but that didn’t seem to work…

1 Like

The banner is only available on the individual job page: https://circleci.com/gh/databyss-org/databyss/2915.

You can opt in there and then navigate to the new project settings page.

Hi,

This is ridiculous, I’ve tried the new UI several times before and had to revert to the old one every time when I needed to configure things. I already wrote to you some of the issues and stopped because nothing was actually being fixed, and I am talking about existing features that are removed in the new UI.

Example: when you have multiple projects and you need for each project a combination of some environment variables, with all the bugs the interface has, I was able to import from existing projects. But now I need to enter every environment variable, there is no bulk add / edit option. And your solution, the contexts? well that’s funny, since you don’t support multiple contexts per step, I will still need to either duplicate contexts (again, with no option of importing) to account for different combinations or create a few gigantic contexts exposing secrets to projects I might not want to by default.

This is just an example, but you constantly refuse to listen to feedback, when I come with ideas you keep pushing to the ideas portal where basic features, some of which are already implemented by your competitors, linger for years, or here, where useful ideas and feedbacks are, again, simply ignored.

Hi,

Is it just me or is someone else not that excited that you need to follow every project in CircleCI in order to be able to view builds for it in the new UI?

I am sorry if I am ignorant, but this was available in the old UI, and it is pretty vital for me and my team, that we can view every single build no matter if we follow the project or not. Reason for this is that I need to have an overview on every single pipeline and I really don’t have to receive status emails for the builds.

Is there a way so I can see all pipelines w/o having to follow all projects? There around 50+ in my organization, I would really like to avoid unneeded clutter in me email inbox.

Thanks,
Antonio

The new Slack notification recommendation leaves much to be desired and is a huge step back in builtin functionality from the current solution. By default it is barebones with no context. To replicate the existing behavior, everyone is expected to roll a custom solution? I don’t have the time; this is frustrating.

1 Like

One more thing I would like to add and noticed.

When I re-run a previous job, or approve a job that has been on hold for some time, the following build that will happen after the re-run or approval is not shown at the top of the pipelines page. In the old UI, when this happened, those jobs were always at the top, since it were being run at that moment.

How can I find those jobs? Should I look for the time that the original job was ran or when the hold step was created? That is annoying since we sometimes have hold jobs being held for a day or two, and it is annoying to browse through the pipelines page to look for those.

1 Like

Hi @antonio,

Yep, the rerun shows as a new workflow within the original pipeline. That’s a change to our Pipeline API that the UI had to represent differently.

Two ways:

1. Find the original Pipeline that ran and look for a new Workflow within it, that will contain your rerun jobs.
  2. Append a /jobs to your pipelines URL, e.g. https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/*[org-name]*/*[project-name]*/**jobs**. This will return the jobs that ran, in chronological order as you expect. However, please note this is our Legacy View for jobs so will not show 100% of information you’re used to and is less supported than the Pipelines view. If this view sees a lots of usage, we may change that stance in the future, but so far most folks haven’t needed them.

Hope that helps!

Kate Catlin
Senior Product Manager, CircleCI

Is it possible to collapse the “FAILED” piplelines by default in the new UI like you do for “SUCCESS”, “ON HOLD” and “CANCELLED”, that would be a massive help to us since the information density is so low now

and that is on a 27" monitor at high res :slight_smile:

Hi @Kate_Catlin

Thank you for the answer and explanation.

I am not sure if I get how this benefits the users. Looking for a job that ran 2-3 days ago, with enough time in that period for more than 20-30 new pipelines to have been launched, makes a re-ran job more difficult to be found, not easier. I think if you guys can change this behaviour, it will help tremendously.

Thanks,
Antonio