2.1 requires pipelines, but Pipelines are enabled in project settings

Hi there,

We’re trying to make use of Orbs (which look amazing and will save us lots of time!) in our config.yml, however when changing the version to 2.1, we’re seeing the error message:

• Configuration version 2.1 requires the “Enable Pipelines” project setting. Enable pipelines under Project Settings -> Advanced Settings. In order to retrigger pipelines, you must push a new commit.

When navigating to Project Settings -> Advanced Settings, we can see that Pipelines for the project in question are toggled to “On”, and greyed out.

Are we missing something here? Why is it telling us that pipelines are not enabled?

If it helps, we were recently changed over to the Performance plan by your billing department.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Any chance someone turned on Pipelines for the project subsequent to the error you saw, and a new commit was not made since? Note that a rerun won’t work in that case, so a fresh commit will be necessary. If not, it’s possible there is a bug in the ui that we would investigate.

Thank you for your quick response.

We haven’t touched any settings for any project in a good month or 2 - especially not the pipelines setting, since we’ve only just looked at using config v2.1 features. The pipelines setting, as I said, was turned on and greyed out, however setting config version to 2.1 produces the error in my original post.

I’d appreciate some investigation into a UI issue - is there any way we can look at getting pipelines enabled for our account in the meantime?

Any chance you are triggering the build via the api when you get that error? Have you also triggered via a GitHub push?

We’re triggering it via API, yes (please implement a feature on the website to trigger builds!).

Our project is currently set up to build on PR. I could open a PR and see what happens.

Should this make a difference?

Update: Yep. Works when the build is pushed, but not via API.

Unfortunately, the old job triggering api doesn’t work with 2.1 config because it bypasses Pipelines. You’ll have to use the newer build triggering endpoint (we also have a v2 endpoint for triggering pipelines in preview if you want to be a tad adventurous).

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Hi Nathan,

I would really appreciate if you could point me out how to use newer build triggering endpoint or v2 endpoint for triggering pipelines?

Thanks,
Oleg

Could you elaborate more on the v2 endpoint or where we could find documentation for this?

The v2 API is currently in preview – you can find more here: https://github.com/CircleCI-Public/api-preview-docs

Cheers,

Emma