VSCode Extension - language server errors

When using the VSCode extension I’m getting the following errors. Looks like it’s trying to append to the path “C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code”, with another full path “C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json”. The second path appears to be accurate and valid.

[Error - 3:50:39 PM] Request textDocument/documentSymbol failed.
Error: name must not be falsy
	at k.validate (c:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:97:26587)
	at new k (c:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:97:26882)
	at q (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5029474)
	at q (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5029649)
	at q (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5029649)
	at l (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5067534)
	at t.map (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5067620)
	at Object.asDocumentSymbols (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:5037292)
	at r (c:\Users\kherring\.vscode\extensions\circleci.circleci-1.16.0\dist\extension.js:2:4975847)
	at async a.provideDocumentSymbols (c:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\out\vs\workbench\api\node\extensionHostProcess.js:101:37935)
Error while loading JSON Schema "C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json"
open C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
1 Like

Hi @kenherring-rkt, thanks for flagging this!
We are going to have a look at this in the next few days and get back to you!

Same issue:

Called method: textDocument/codeAction

Called method: textDocument/documentSymbol

Called method: textDocument/didChange

Called method: textDocument/semanticTokens/full

[Error - 1:17:36 PM] Request textDocument/documentSymbol failed.
Error: name must not be falsy
	at r.validate (/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app/Contents/Resources/app/out/vs/workbench/api/node/extensionHostProcess.js:95:17678)
	at new r (/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app/Contents/Resources/app/out/vs/workbench/api/node/extensionHostProcess.js:95:17973)
	at q (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5011475)
	at q (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5011650)
	at q (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5011650)
	at l (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5049535)
	at t.map (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5049621)
	at Object.asDocumentSymbols (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:5019293)
	at r (/Users/almenon/.vscode/extensions/circleci.circleci-1.17.3/dist/extension.js:2:4957848)
	at async o.provideDocumentSymbols (/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app/Contents/Resources/app/out/vs/workbench/api/node/extensionHostProcess.js:101:37263)

Sidenote: It would be great if the extension was published in Github so we could report issues in there.

1 Like

Mine is also similar to kenherring-rkt’s.

Error while loading JSON Schema "C:\Users\mfunaki\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\mfunaki\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json"
open C:\Users\mfunaki\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\C:\Users\mfunaki\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

same here

Error while loading JSON Schema "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json"

open C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

Thank you everyone for the reports. Just confirming that we are actively working on this and we should be able to release a fix early next week at the latest.
I’ll update this post as soon as a patch becomes available.

1 Like

Hi all!
Just wanted to let you know that this issue should be fixed from version 1.19.

Would be great if you could verify this and confirm if that’s the case!

Benny

Hey @Benny. I tested this out just now and at first glace this does not appear to be resolved.

The forum won’t let me post a screenshot, but according to the VSCode extensions I’ve been updated to v1.19.0. Let me know if there’s anything you need from me to confirm.

Here’s the log found in the Output View after starting VSCode:

No port defined: the server will find a free port

Server started on port 58679, version 0.6.0
   JSON Schema: C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json
New client connection

Called method: initialize

Called method: initialized
Called method: textDocument/didOpen

Called method: workspace/didChangeConfiguration
Called method: workspace/executeCommand

Error while loading JSON Schema "C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json"
open C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Hey @kenherring-rkt thanks for your feedback, could you please share the steps that you did to have this issue.
does the error happen when you edit your config file or just by opening a config file

Fairly simple, just two steps. Including the full log after each. Is there any sort of verbose logging I could enable and provide?

1. Open VSCode. (we can see the JSON schema is looking at a bad path already)

Server started on port 56321, version 0.6.0
   JSON Schema: C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code/C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data\schema.json
New client connection

1. Open the .circleci/config.yml file.

Server started on port 56321, version 0.6.0
New client connection

Thanks for your help.
Can you please share the config file causing the issue or some dummy config file that cause it.
Also which version of windows you are using.

Certainly! I’m using Windows 11. Here is a very simple config and a screenshot of the errors:

version: 2.1

jobs:
  build:
    docker:
      - image: cimg/openjdk:11.0.19
    steps:
      - checkout

workflows:
  version: 2
  build:
    jobs:
      - build

Quick update… it looks like this is resolved! Doesn’t appear like the version number in the log changed, but regardless my environment seems to be having success. Thank you to whoever was able to fix it. :pray:

Server started on port 54515, version 0.6.0
   JSON Schema: C:\Users\kherring\AppData\Local\CircleCI-language-server\Data/schema.json
New client connection

@kenherring-rkt my apologies, I forgot to send an update when we released version 1.21.0 containing a new attempt at a fix! I’m assuming that’s the version where the problem got resolved for you?
Very pleased to hear it did!