Shell script as a value of a workflow's "when" property

Hi

In my team we are investigating NX and as part of our investigation, we want to know if we can use it to trigger our workflows and how.

A script of NX, called nx print-affected can tell you which applications in your monorepo have changed.
I wanted to use this script, this information, to determine when a workflow should run.

Let’s say I have an application called infrastructure in our monorepo, and I want to use nx in the when workflow condition like

pull_request_infrastructure:
    when: $(case "infrastructure" in *yarn nx print-affected --base=main --head=HEAD --select=projects*) echo "Infrastructure has changed";; esac)
    jobs:

I wonder, in first place if I can use a script like that in a workflow condition. Haven’t found any example in CircleCi config documentation. It doesn’t error but always triggers the workflow even if I change case "infrastructure" to case "marco" for example.

If is doable, how this script should be?

PS:
As you might ask, I am aware of CircleCi Dynamic config, which would be easy for me to set up and I know it works. But as far as I know it would not be able to understand if an application has changed also based on it’s dependencies which is what NX would be offering in addition.

So if infrastructure hasn’t changed but depends on the “auth” application which has changed, infrastructure workflow should still run. And for avoiding taking responsibility to set the logic for dependencies my self, as in other scenario might be too complex, I am going for NX.

But please let me know what you think and a solution to use the script in the when condition.

Hello

I believe the reason why your code is behaving in the way you are seeing is that when need to compare the values but the way that you have it configured nothing is being checked.

We have documentation here with some examples of how to use condition steps in a job or workflow linked below.

I would recommend using an environmental variable which is set by the output to define what has changed and then this could be used by the conditional steps.

Kind Regards
Owen Oliver