Next-Gen Convenience Image Browsers Variant Beta

Update: The browsers variant for next-gen Convenience Images is now Generally Available. The tag list below isn’t complete. Any new images being published in 2021 that should have a browsers variant tag does. You can browse everything available on the Developer Hub

The browsers variant for next-gen Convenience Images are finally here and ready for testing. Please try these images out and give your feedback in this thread. Also, you may want to bookmark this page to come back for updates on this beta.

What’s Different

The new browsers variant is designed to work in conjunction with the CircleCI Browser Tools orb. You can use the orb to install a version of Google Chrome and/or Firefox into your build. The image contains all of the supporting tools needed to use both the browser and it’s driver.

Example Config

version: 2.1

orbs:
  browser-tools: circleci/browser-tools@1.1.0

jobs:
  test:
    docker:
      - image: cimg/node:12.19-browsers
    steps:
      - browser-tools/install-browser-tools:
          chrome-version: 85.0.4183.102
          firefox-version: 80.0.1
      - run:
          command: |
            google-chrome --version
            firefox --version
            geckodriver --version
            chromedriver --version
            java -jar /usr/local/bin/selenium.jar --version

Migration

The tags between the legacy images and next-gen images have changed slightly. Here’s what the migration path looks like:

Legacy Image Tag Next-Gen Image Tag Notes
-node -node Continues to work the same.
-browsers n/a Use -browsers instead. Difference is it has Node.js.
-node-browsers -browsers Together with the Browser Tools orb, this should work similar to before.
-browsers-legacy n/a Was deprecated in legacy images, in next-gen images it’s gone.
-node-browsers-legacy n/a Was deprecated in legacy images, in next-gen images it’s gone.

Available Tags

The following images and tags are now available for this beta. More images/tags will be added in the next week. Please feel free to request a specific image/tag from the fleet of next-gen images available.

Node.js (cimg/node:*-browsers)

• v10.22.1
  • v10.23.0
  • v12.18.4
  • v12.19.0+
  • v14.12.0
  • v14.13.1
  • v14.14.0
  • v14.15.0+
  • v15.0.0+
  • v15.1.0+
  • v15.2.0+

Elixir (cimg/elixir:*-browsers)

• v1.11.0
  • v1.11.1

Go (cimg/go:*-browsers)

• v1.13.15
  • v1.14.9
  • v1.14.10
  • v1.15.2
  • v1.15.3

PHP (cimg/php:*-browsers)

• v5.6.40
  • v7.2.34
  • v7.3.23
  • v7.3.24
  • v7.4.11
  • v7.4.12

Python (cimg/python:*-browsers)

• v2.718
  • v3.5.10
  • v3.6.12
  • v3.7.9
  • v3.8.6
  • v3.9.0

Ruby (cimg/ruby:*-browsers)

• v2.5.8
  • v2.6.6
  • v2.7.2

Rust (cimg/rust:*-browsers)

• v1.44.1
  • v1.45.2
  • v1.46.0
  • v1.47.0

OpenJDK (cimg/openjdk:*-browsers)

• v8.0.265
  • v8.0.272
  • v11.0.8
  • v11.0.9
  • v14.0.2
  • v15.0.0
  • v15.0.1
2 Likes

Added OpenJDK.

1 Like

In the legacy images the browsers have been included (no need to install) in the browsers convenience images, right?.
In the next-gen, it seems I need to install the browser I want to use with the orb command in either the cimg/node or the cimg/node-browsers.

What is the difference between using the orb to install, say, google chrome in cimg/node vs in cimg/node-browsers? I can’t see any obvious difference, since I need to use the tools to install them in either case.

Hey, welcome.

Correct, this is a change from the legacy images.

The difference between using the new browsers variant vs just the orb is that the orb will install the browser and driver themselves. The browsers variant still includes a bunch of other front end tools including Node.js, Selenium, Java, and more.

Added Elixir.

We are looking at moving to the cimg/node:10.22.1-browsers image with the circleci/browser-tools@1.1.0 browser tools for our continuous integration builds. I had to add libxss1 to our config.yml to get the node module puppeteer to work. Your support group suggested I post a comment here. Seems like libxss1 should be in these new cimg images.

1 Like

Thanks for this feedback. After review, I agree this should be in the browsers variant. I’ll update here when things are updated.

The browsers variant for next-gen Convenience Images is now Generally Available. The tag list above isn’t complete. Any new images being published in 2021 that should have a browsers variant tag does. You can browse everything available on the Developer Hub.