Git command i returned 128

I get this error on various builds from time to time. I believe it has something to do with us switching from bitbucket to github. The repo name was the same on both Bitbucket and Github. My deploy keys are set properly and I cannot see any errors in our configuration.

Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '' to the list of known hosts.

ERROR: Repository not found.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

git command i returned 128:

This is an issue that I’ve reported and opened a ticket on as well.

I believe if you tell the GitHub project to stop building and wait a few minutes, you can then go follow the BitBucket.

Otherwise you may need to slighty change the BitBucket repo name until this is fixed.

As the BitBucket support is still in beta, you can also open a ticket by emailing


Thanks! Just to be clear: I moved from bitbucket to Github, meaning I don’t use bitbucket anymore for that project.

Sorry, I read that in reverse. I believe it’s the same issue though. :slight_smile:

Any update on this one? We have a few branches that refuses to build because of this error

Sorry, not yet. Did you already try telling the BitBucket projects to stop building?

I know I was confusing in my initial reply.

Yes, I’m not building on Bitbucket at all

I’m going to have to ask you to create a support ticket by emailing then, the old BitBucket projects will likely have to be manually deleted

I’ve sent an e-mail to I hope that’ll do it.

1 Like

Hi @karlingen, did you find a solution to this?

My builds are failing with the same output for the Checkout-phase (building on a Mac). Before this, the project has been building fine for a few weeks (using GitHub, never used Bitbucket).

Nope, I’m still waiting for a reply from the CircleCI team.

My issue seemed to have something to do with GitHub’s rate limiting, and as such can be worked around by triggering builds less often.

This is actually an issue on the Github side rate limiting builds on We are in conversations with them to keep this from happening.

For users who see this error sporadically (instead of with every build), this is a sign of Github rate limiting. We’re discussing the issue with them to find a solution.

For now, I suggest subscribing to this thread for updates.

This issue has been fixed. If you are still experiencing it, please reach out at Thank you so much for your patience.

Issue hasn’t been fixed for our team. Just emailed

We’ve hit the exact same bug as updating simple documentation has broken our tests, despite touching no code.