Downgrading MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 5.6 on Ubuntu Trusty 64

trusty
mysql

How to downgrade?

We didn’t expect the change from 5.6 to 5.7 over this weekend, our app doesnt support 5.7 (incompatible group by issues)

Also trying to downgrade to 5.6 because our builds failsfor 5.7. There’s been some responses for the following thread but I don’t think a solid solution has been introduced…

Please see:

It also broke the build for us.

@justinlee46 the incompatible group issue might be solved by this setting?

test:
  pre:
    - echo "SET GLOBAL sql_mode=(SELECT REPLACE(@@sql_mode,'ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY',''));" | mysql 

I also had incompatibility problems with 5.7 in an older project. I ended up (ab)using circle’s docker support to install mysql 5.6 on the machine, and then pointed my application to that:

machine:
  services:
    - docker
dependencies:
  pre:
    - docker run -e MYSQL_ALLOW_EMPTY_PASSWORD=1 -p 3307:3306 -d mysql:5.6

That will start up a mysql 5.6 server o port 3307, with the root username and no password. Now you just need to configure your application to point to that instead of the default port of 3306

This method works great, but instead what I would recommend doing is removing mysql-community-server from the CircleCI box totally in the dependencies -> pre node and that way you can bind 3306 directly into the container.

machine:
  services:
    - docker
dependencies:
  pre:
    - sudo apt-get remove mysql-community-server
    - docker run -e MYSQL_ALLOW_EMPTY_PASSWORD=1 -p 3306:3306 -d mysql:5.6

This way none of your default application configs will have to change, it is just a drop in replacement.