Deprecating Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 images: stay secure with modern Ubuntu

Hey Everyone,

CircleCI’s Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 Linux virtual machine (VM) images are deprecated as of today, February 15, 2022. There will be no further new releases or support for these images and they will be permanently unavailable as of May, 31st, 2022.

We’re working on getting email notifications to every project currently using one of these images. Additionally we’ll be conducting temporary brownouts in late March and late April 2022 during which these images will be unavailable. For a detailed overview of what’s planned and how this will affect your workflow, checkout our blog post.

If you are using either of these images, update your config with a newer Ubuntu machine image before the 14.04 and 16.04 images are removed at the end of May 2022.

Switch to a supported image:

Respectfully,
Ricardo N Feliciano

3 Likes

Hi Ricardo,

I have received emails telling me some of my projects are using 14.04 images when in reality they are using ubuntu-2004. Is this a mistake on your end?

1 Like

Hi there!

The email was also inclusive of customers using remote docker since that runs on a machine that will be EOL - we’ll be updating the 19.x remote docker underlying machinery on our end or you can upgrade to the following versions:

Please feel free to reach out to support@circleci.com or open at ticket at https://support.circleci.com/hc/en-us and we would be happy to take a look at a config link as well if this doesn’t fit your project.

2 Likes

@jkzilla It would be helpful to send out a follow-up email to all recipients of the Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 deprecation email. Just like @MrMMorris, I spent several hours hunting down anything in our CircleCI configs that would indicate us using an outdated Ubuntu image (which we are also not).

Separately, the CircleCI KB article about running Docker image, Running Docker Commands - CircleCI, still lists the 19.x Docker engine as supported and uses it in the default examples. It may be helpful for the CircleCI community to have this page updated.

2 Likes