Default Machine Image is now providing Ubuntu 22.04

Hey Everyone,

As part of the Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 deprecation process that we announced back in February of this year, the default image for the machine executor has changed. It use to be an Ubuntu 14.04 based image and is now a 22.04 based image.

This change happened at May 19, 00:00 UTC, is on the blog post (linked above) and has been communicated via email to customers as well.

This change affects customers using the default machine image, meaning they have this in their config, or are using the image via an orb:

jobs:
  my-job:
    machine: true
    steps:
      - checkout

What to do if my build breaks?

Here are two actions you can do if your build breaks. They are in order of recommendation so only do step 2 if you can’t do step 1.

1. Fix the problem. Ubuntu 22.04 has many changes from Ubuntu 14.04. The default versions of some packages installed, the kernel version, etc will be different. Finding and fixing the problem in your config is the best solution here.
  2. If you need more time (these images go away on May 31st), you can manually specify the image that was previously the default. It would look something like this:
jobs:
  my-job:
    machine:
      image: circleci/classic:201710-01
    steps:
      - checkout

This will put your project back on the outdated Ubuntu 14.04 image until they images are removed on May 31st.

Deprecation & Brownout Information

All the information about the deprecation, timeline, and the brownouts can be found on the blog post.