Container-agent permissions errors

I have the new container-agent deployed in my kubernetes cluster, and I am trying to use it to run some jobs using a docker executor. No matter what container image i start, it constantly throws the following errors:

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/circleci’: Permission denied

and eventually ends with the following error:

19:46:54 6b6ed 55350.545ms service-work error=1 error occurred:
* could not start task containers: exec into build container “container-0” failed: command terminated with exit code 1

Has anyone else using this run into this error? I assumed it might have been the working directory setting and have tried changing that, however this container image does not have a circleci user, and is locked down its own user that does not have perms to create any directories in /home.

Thanks!

Is there a job link by any chance? Or is it failing before that step?

Any chance you can share config.yml and values.yml so we can take a peek? Curious which image you’re trying to use. You can share via direct message or support ticket if you don’t want to post here.

I think we found the root of the issue, it has to deal with how we’re handling working directories in these specific cases with working directories. Sorry about that!

We have a bug open to fix this, I’ll post here when that’s done. After the fix, you should be able to set the working directory as part of the job config in your .circleci/config.yml file to point to where the image expects to do its thing.

Actually, this may be a bit gnarlier than we thought. Can you send over the logs where you’re seeing the mkdir: cannot create directory error? Is that in the job output? or somewhere else

I have the same issue, container agent can’t run ecr-images, is there a change that you’ll fix this?

We believe we have a fix for this. It may take a week or so to get finalized and make it out into a new container agent version. I’ll update this thread when it’s available, thank you for the patience.

@dougbishop & @greykurotsuki, thank you for your patience. We have just pushed out a fix to this issue. You should be able to use the images in question now.

To get the fix, make sure you upgrade to the latest version of the helm chart: CircleCI’s self-hosted runner FAQs - CircleCI