circleCI configuration failure

Hello,

Our circleCI configuration failed us today with a very strange error:

Unexpected client error processing config
Please contact support
Internal error ID: 62f0bca3-5bc6-45fd-8b6f-cf966260f98e

Reverting the latest commit in config.yaml fixed the problem, but the error message is not helpful. The config is perfectly valid, I wonder if we have hit some circleCI limitation.

Most people helping out in these forums do not have access to the internal logs required to understand what will have thrown such an error.

Your best option will be to open a support ticket so that it can be routed to the team with such access.

Apparently this happens when we add a new job under a workflow definition. I opened a ticket to circleCI support but I’ll run some tests locally and update the thread.

The problem seems to be related to the number of jobs defined in workflows. Apparently there is a hard limit jobs definitions limit:

yq '.workflows.*.jobs | length' ~/config-current-staging.yaml | awk '{total+=$1} END{print total}'

Once we reach 210 job definitions we get these errors. Remove a few jobs made the trick, but it’s going to be an uphill battle. What was strange though was that some branches were able to work successfully with 210 jobs defined while others did not.

Waiting for circleCI support confirm if what appears to be a job definition limit is true or not. I couldn’t find any limits defined in the reference documentation though.

Apparently we surpasses the 4MB configuration limit for some combinations but the error was cryptic enough to take us off rails.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.