Unable to reach localhost:8888 from host with docker-compose

I use docker-compose to run docker-compose run myname mycommand. That starts a Python web server on 0.0.0.0:8888. I can see the container running with: docker-compose ps. It’s here and it looks something like this (from an SSH session):

root@215a24ba17c2:~/buildhub2# docker-compose -f docker-compose.ci.yml ps
        Name                       Command               State           Ports
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
buildhub2_autograph_1   /bin/sh -c /go/bin/autograph     Up      8000/tcp
buildhub2_db_1          docker-entrypoint.sh postgres    Up      5432/tcp
buildhub2_memcached_1   docker-entrypoint.sh memcached   Up      11211/tcp
buildhub2_web_run_3     /bin/bash /app/bin/run.sh  ...   Up      0.0.0.0:8888->8888/tcp
elasticsearch           /bin/bash bin/es-docker          Up      9200/tcp, 9300/tcp

But I can’t curl localhost:8888 from the host. That’s what I want to do next to do some testing. From an SSH session:

root@215a24ba17c2:~/buildhub2# curl localhost:8888
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 8888: Connection refused

I tried 127.0.0.1:8888 and 0.0.0.0:8888 also.

My Dockerfile has EXPOSE 8888 in it and my docker-compose.yml has:

ports:
      - "8888:8888"

…in the relevant container.

Usually the issue here is that you’ve not waited long enough for the container server to settle down. Try getting an SSH session after a failing build, and see if the container is still up. If it is, exec a shell on the container and see what processes are running inside it, to see if there is another issue.

No that wasn’t it.

I’ve probably solved it now since I posted my question. What I did instead, was using a second container in docker-compose that depends_on the Python web server. Now, from this other (new) container I can connect to the python web server on http://web:8888. The docker-compose looks something like this:

web:
  build:
    context: .
    dockerfile: Dockerfile
  image: kinto:build
  depends_on:
    - db
    - memcached
  ports:
    - "8888:8888"
  command: start

tests:
 build:
   context: .
   dockerfile: tests/Dockerfile
 image: kinto:tests
 depends_on:
   - web
 command: test

Now, inside that tests container I can successfully run curl web:8888.

I think there are some “quirks” about how networking works in Linux vs macOS. Or perhaps CircleCI vs. macOS. In my macOS host I was able to use curl localhost:8888.

This new solution feels more right but I wish I had more time to understanding docker networking in detail and to explain why the host can’t reach into a running container that exposes a port.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense - Docker Compose internally makes containers available using their services names as DNS names. However, that doesn’t explain why your port publishing does not work in your first-level (build) container. I wonder if you need nstat (with appropriate switches) to examine what ports are captured?

Hmm, also: since it is published to 0.0.0.0, try ifconfig in the build container to see what other interfaces are available. Perhaps it has bound to the LAN IP instead?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.