Typescript + Jest runs locally but not in Circle

I have a little issue running Jest + TS in Circle. Locally all of the test works, but when running on Circle – after fetching all the code from Github – raises this error:

FAIL  test/utils.test.ts
  ● Test suite failed to run

SyntaxError: Unexpected token {

at _load_jsdom (node_modules/jest/node_modules/jest-cli/node_modules/jest-environment-jsdom/build/index.js:18:19)

I think this might be related with Jest not running Jest-ts in Circle – maybe some Docker configuration might fix it? --; the problem is that I don’t know how to fix it. Can anybody help me with that or at least give me some ideas how I can debbug this?

I don’t know this technology, but some general advice: there is not much that is special about Circle run environments, same as most CI providers. It’s a VPS. So, the question is, if you got this error on your development laptop, how would you fix it?

Have you looked at the file containing a syntax error?

One thing you can do is to kick off a build with SSH, let it fail, and then log into the post-fail machine. Then you can use a text editor to play around with things until you get your tests to pass. Just remember that SSH time eats into your build minutes, so don’t wander off to watch a movie :smile: and remember to cancel the job from the Circle web interface.

I’ve never used SSH before, but maybe it’s time to look into it.

Thanks.

Right, learning SSH generally is essential. I don’t want to put you off using Circle, or CI generally, but sometimes it throws up seriously non-trivial problems. The SSH feature on Circle really is great - some other providers don’t offer this, and it can be really hard to work out what’s going on.

If you don’t already have a VPS, get one - you can get one for a few USD per month these days. Learn SSH and the console generally and Linux commands - you’ll find using CI much easier with that knowledge.

The funny thing though is that I decided to try it out Travis CI and worked just fine. Probably I’ll stay with them right now.

Sure, fair enough. A couple of years ago, I used Travis for some open source stuff, but for unfunded closed source projects, their prices are quite prohibitive.

I haven’t used Travis recently, and to be fair, I like Circle so much now, I would probably use it for new open source projects. It’d be interesting to go back to Travis to see what their feature-set looks like now.

I’m having the same problem - tests execute fine on local, but don’t even run due to the above syntax error. Haven’t tried Travis yet, though I have used it in the past too.

This is my working project with Travis and TS, in case that you need some help:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.