Tests fail, are slow with headless Chrome on CircleCI

Hi!

I am trying to migrate our test suite to Headless Chrome from PhantomJS. We are on CircleCI 2.0.

My issue is that the tests run extremely slowly (>30 mins) and about 70% of tests fail. When running the same test suite on my local computer, the browser tests pass in 10 mins. When running in CircleCI using Poltergeist, the tests pass in about 5 mins.

Can anyone help me? Here are my settings:

Capybara.register_driver :headless_chrome do |app|
  capabilities = Selenium::WebDriver::Remote::Capabilities.chrome(
    chromeOptions: { args: %w(headless disable-gpu window-size=1024,768) }
  )

Capybara::Selenium::Driver.new(app, browser: :chrome, desired_capabilities: capabilities)
end

Capybara.server = :puma
Capybara.default_max_wait_time = 30
Capybara.javascript_driver = :headless_chrome

Some thoughts:

1. Is there any pattern in the test failure?
  2. Do you get different failures for each run?
  3. Are you able to get a screenshot for a failure?

Perhaps you would also paste your CircleCI config. I am wondering if there is a server component that could do with a few seconds of sleep, so it is always ready before you try to use it.

I changed the config to only run one test and put in some code to save a screenshot at the end of that test, but the test runner doesn’t seem to even get that far most of the time. I repeated the build several times in a row and here are some of the failure reports I get:

1.1) Failure/Error:
            page.set_rack_session(
            )

Net::ReadTimeout:
            Net::ReadTimeout
          # ./spec/support/sign_in_helpers.rb:90:in `create_auth_logic_session'
          # ./spec/support/sign_in_helpers.rb:25:in `sign_in_as_an_admin'
          # -e:1:in `<main>'
     1.2) Failure/Error: page.save_screenshot(screenshot_path)

Net::ReadTimeout:
            Net::ReadTimeout
          # ./spec/spec_helper.rb:158:in `save_timestamped_screenshot'
          # ./spec/spec_helper.rb:165:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
     1.1) Failure/Error:
            page.set_rack_session(
              'user_credentials' => user.persistence_token,
              'user_credentials_id' => user.id,
              'current_account_id' => Account.current_id
            )

Selenium::WebDriver::Error::UnknownError:
            unknown error: Devtools port number file contents <34733> were in an unexpected format
              (Driver info: chromedriver=71.0.3578.33 (269aa0e3f0db08097f0fe231c7e6be200b6939f7),platform=Linux 4.4.0-137-generic x86_64)
          # ./spec/support/sign_in_helpers.rb:90:in `create_auth_logic_session'
          # ./spec/support/sign_in_helpers.rb:25:in `sign_in_as_an_admin'

I am getting a combination of these errors (since I have it set to 3 retries) on every build, but the same test passes consistently on my local computer.

Here is a Gist of my config. https://gist.github.com/tb0yd/6e3d2fe498f9eb7273a497249b97abc5

OK, cool - so you have some errors. Search for them and see if other people are getting any errors of these types; they are bound to have happened to others before. Stack Overflow should have loads of references. Here’s one, from a quick web search.

I don’t do Ruby, but if you are generally familiar with it, get an SSH session on your post-fail machine, and treat the problem as if you were debugging locally. You can edit your tests and re-run them from the console.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee my tests run now!!

Thanks for the tips! I didn’t know you could SSH into failing builds, and that really helped.

Apparently I was on an old version of Chrome and/or Chromedriver. Updating to the latest stable chrome and Chromedriver 2.38 fixed my issue.

1 Like

You’re most welcome. Yes, SSH is nearly essential for headless browser test errors.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.