Setup workflow and scheduled workflow in the same configuration

Hi,

I’m trying to use setup workflow to handle specific edge case in our build process.

But I’m facing an issue when trying to make it work with scheduled workflow. Basically we need a CircleCI config where we can use scheduled workflow and setup workflow together.

Using this config CircleCI throw this error: “Max number of workflows exceeded.”

version: 2.1

setup: true

orbs:
  continuation: circleci/continuation@0.1.2
  node: circleci/node@4.2.1

jobs:
  scheduled_job:
    docker:
      - image: cimg/base:2021.02
    steps:
      - run:
          name: Install npm
          command: npm install

setup_job:
    executor: continuation/default
    steps:
      - run:
          name: Generate config
          command: |
            ./generate_config > generated_config.yml
      - continuation/continue:
          configuration_path: generated_config.yml

workflows:
  scheduled:
    triggers:
      - schedule:
          cron: '0 0 * * 1'
          filters:
            branches:
              only:
                - master
    jobs:
      - scheduled_job

setup:
    jobs:
      - setup_job

How setup workflow and scheduled job can works together ?

Kind regards

3 Likes

I have the same problem as this. I’m waiting for the response too.

1 Like

This is something that we’re aware of not working. We’re working on getting it fixed up, though don’t have an ETA yet. We’ll keep you posted, though. Thanks!

(Gotta get that staff tag on here, heh, so don’t mind the lack of that.)

1 Like

Hi, is there any news on this? It’s been 3 weeks. Right now I have to manually trigger scheduled workflow every day. It’s ironic that an automation tool like CircleCI is forcing me to do manual work like this. Please fix this soon.

Ideally I would wish that the scheduled workflows are generated by setup workflow. But if you guys want the original config file .circleci/config.yml to define both setup workflow and scheduled workflows, I’m OK too.

I am interested in this too. I’ll follow this thread to get notified

Any updates on this ?

Hi All!

While we don’t have an ETA on the ability to utilize scheduled workflows in conjunction with dynamic configs, I can say the team is actively working on it. In the meantime, I created the following workaround that should allow you to run scheduled workflows on a dynamic config enabled project:

I hope the above helps in the meantime, I do know the ability to use both these features together is a high priority for the team.

Any updates on this? It’s been almost half a year since the original question :slight_smile:

@vdhpieter Thanks for following up here!

All updates on this functionality have been communicated on the following Feature Request:

So I would check that out and add yourself as a vote if you haven’t already as that ensures any updates to the request get automatically sent to you. The most recent update from the PM working on this feature is that we should have some additional details in the coming weeks. I know they are actively working on this, and close, so we will have some updates very soon.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi @vdhpieter and all in this thread!

Just wanted to follow up and let y’all know we just moved ‘Scheduled Pipleines’ into Open Preview:

This feature works with Dynamic Configs/Setup workflows and should allow you to continue to run pipelines on a specific schedule.

Hope the above helps!
-Nick

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.