Scala sbt-native-packager Docker not functional on CircleCI 1.0

Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance on the best path forward.

We are trying to use sbt-native-packager to build a Docker Image for our Scala application. However, it appears that sbt-native-packager requires Docker v1.10 or above to function correctly.

When trying to add an additional tag beyond the version (most commonly seen when dockerUpdateLatest is set), only one of the tags is used, and the package build fails.

I’ve filed a relevant issue with sbt-native-packager containing more information here:

https://github.com/sbt/sbt-native-packager/issues/981

I can see here that the recommendation for building Docker images on CircleCI is to use CircleCI 2.0:

https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/migrating-from-1-2/

The main problem encountered here is the switch to running everything in Docker containers. While CircleCI 1.0 gives you a VM with everything required to build Scala projects, CircleCI 2.0 only gives you what’s in the docker image you use.

Unfortunately there do not appear to be any official images available that match the functionality available in CircleCI 1.0, which means a lot of work is required to build a Docker image for use on CircleCI 2.0 for building Scala projects.

It seems like a lot of work would be required for us to migrate from CircleCI 1.0 to 2.0.

Would we be better sticking with CircleCI 1.0 and trying to nudge things until they work, or should Docker builds only be done on CircleCI 2.0?

Are there any Docker images available for running Scala builds on CircleCI 2.0, and any examples on getting any Scala projects working on CircleCI 2.0?

Thank you!

This is the only path forward.

Are there any Docker images available for running Scala builds on CircleCI 2.0, and any examples on getting any Scala projects working on CircleCI 2.0?

Not yet, but we are working on this. In the meantime if you use one of these images they at least have sbt pre-installed.

Those images were made by me, they are still in “beta” but they should work more or less and we will be promoting them to the official CircleCI org soon.