Same code succeeds in one run and fails in another, why?

Project: React Native app
Problem: iOS build fails

Hi, I’m stumbling upon a rare issue. Last week our builds for ios started to fail, and the error, bottom line, is this:
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for fsevents@1.1.3 and node@11.0.0 (node-v64 ABI, unknown) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)

Which means fsevents has no pre-compiled binaries for node 11.0.0. This is strange because previously it did not happen and we did not change the environment we’re using (xcode 10.1.0)

Even more strange, I thought we may have introduced some error in our configuration or code recently, but I wen back to jobs that had already succeeded in the past and after re-running, they fail for the same reason!

Without fsevents, which is a dependency of sane, which is a dependency of jest, the creation of the main bundle fails and so the whole job fails.

So, how come what previously worked, now doesn’t? What could be causing this? Was there a change in the node version provided with the xcode 10.1.0 VM?

PS: If I install fsevents with node 8 then the job succeeds, but this is a workaround rather than a fix