1 Build backend service - builds a Docker container
2. Build UI - builds a Docker container
3. Run end to end tests - uses both Docker containers
4. Deploy backend service to heroku - deploys Docker container
5. Deploy UI to Netlify - deploys built files

All 5 of these are separate jobs in a single workflow

3 depends on 1 and 2.
4 and 5 depend on 3.

I can get most of this working fine. Unfortunately, the Docker containers built in #1 and #2 aren’t visible in #3 and #4. So instead I’ve got #4 building the backend service container instead of #1 - that’s got the CD deploy working. I just don’t know how to get #3 working without it needing to completely rebuild the containers again.

I’ve seen the idea of pushing the containers to Docker Hub. That would work, but these are per-commit builds for development, and not release-worthy artifacts, so that seems wrong.

Any other suggestions on how to get this to work?

Cheers

You could try exporting the images using docker save and then put them in a folder declared as a workspace. That will be seen by following jobs, which can then docker load them.

Of course, if you can minimise the size of your images, that will be a substantial win - there may be size limits to workspaces, and they will probably involve gzipping, so you’ll save time if you can make them small.

If you have a separate registry for your temporary builds, I don’t think this is a problem at all. In fact, I do this just for layer caching. However, I agree that a solution that stays within the bounds of the CI servers is a bit cleaner.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.