'rake db:structure:load' is succeeding then timing out

I’m relatively new to CircleCI. Just setup my Docker Hub image which includes PG client. I’m trying to do some testing on a Rails App, and it’s getting stuck at

rake db:structure:load

What’s interesting, is that it does seem to succeed, but then times out. I get the output

set_config 
------------

(1 row)

(END)

which usually indicates that the structure load succeeds. But then it just hangs, and eventually times out with:

(END)rails aborted! Interrupt: /root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/postgresql_database_tasks.rb:108:in `system' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/postgresql_database_tasks.rb:108:in `run_cmd' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/postgresql_database_tasks.rb:80:in `structure_load' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:223:in `structure_load' /root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:236:in `load_schema' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:255:in `block in load_schema_current' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:304:in `block in each_current_configuration' /root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:303:in `each' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:303:in `each_current_configuration' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/tasks/database_tasks.rb:254:in `load_schema_current' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.2/lib/active_record/railties/databases.rake:290:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>' /root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/railties-5.1.2/lib/rails/commands/rake/rake_command.rb:21:in `block in perform' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/railties-5.1.2/lib/rails/commands/rake/rake_command.rb:18:in `perform' 
/root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/railties-5.1.2/lib/rails/command.rb:46:in `invoke' /root/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.2.0/gems/railties-5.1.2/lib/rails/commands.rb:16:in `<top (required)>' bin/rails:4:in `require' bin/rails:4:in `<main>' Tasks: TOP => db:structure:load (See full trace by running task with --trace) Too long with no output (exceeded 10m0s)

So it seems like it’s succeeding, then just hanging.

The previous rake db:create succeeds without problem.

Any ideas?

I also ran into this issue, I made a Stackoverflow post about it.

In short: seems to involve psql using a terminal pager for output and waiting for user input, and my current improper workaround in .circleci/config.yml is:

environment:
  PAGER: cat # prevent psql commands triggering pager

Awesome! Thanks for the workaround! Seems to be working now!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.