'pip install' step fails when I increase package version number

The error below happens every time I increase the version number in my Python app. It’s trying to uninstall the old version of my app from the cached Python environment. Clearing the cache fixes the problem, but only until the next version bump. This problem only happens in Circle. Tests run fine locally.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/bin/pip", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/__init__.py", line 217, in main
    return command.main(cmd_args)
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 246, in main
    pip_version_check(session)
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/outdated.py", line 102, in pip_version_check
    installed_version = get_installed_version("pip")
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 848, in get_installed_version
    working_set = pkg_resources.WorkingSet()
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 626, in __init__
    self.add_entry(entry)
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 682, in add_entry
    for dist in find_distributions(entry, True):
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2080, in find_eggs_in_zip
    if metadata.has_metadata('PKG-INFO'):
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1610, in has_metadata
    return self.egg_info and self._has(self._fn(self.egg_info, name))
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1968, in _has
    return zip_path in self.zipinfo or zip_path in self._index()
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1848, in zipinfo
    return self._zip_manifests.load(self.loader.archive)
  File "/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1788, in load
    mtime = os.stat(path).st_mtime
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/ubuntu/virtualenvs/venv-system/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/hpx_voltron-0.0.5-py2.7.egg'

if [ -e requirements.txt ]; then pip install -r requirements.txt;else pip install -r requirements.pip;fi returned exit code 1

Action failed: pip install

That doesn’t look like a full Traceback, parts seem cut off on the right side and it seems to be missing the details of the error being triggered?

Also can you include the output of pip --version