Override ENV variable of docker image (Circleci 2.0)

docker
yarn

The docker image circleci/node:8 exposes the environment variable YARN_VERSION to set a specific yarn version. When I set the version in the environment map, it’s not picked up by the docker image:

version: 2
jobs:
build:
docker:
- image: circleci/node:8
environment:
YARN_VERSION: 1.9.4
steps:
- run: echo $YARN_VERSION
- run: yarn --version

Outputs:

====>> echo $YARN_VERSION
#!/bin/bash -eo pipefail
echo $YARN_VERSION
====>> yarn --version
#!/bin/bash -eo pipefail
yarn --version

The question is how to pass the environment variable to docker?

So I am mistaking build environments vs runtime environments. So please ignore this post.

Tips:

• You may be able to delete the post, using the toolbar under the first post.
  • When presenting YAML, please use a code block, not a quote block. Quote blocks collapse space indentation, which means readers cannot see the structure of your YAML.

Thanks for the tips. The ui says I don’t have permissions to remove the post (that’s why I replied to my own post).

@tkvw Can you clarify the final solution by providing your updated YML config?

@rtymchyk: it’s more of a conceptual understanding than a solution. The image is build using a specific YARN_VERSION, so altering the yarn version doesn’t do much. There are two things you can do:
create a custom docker image or create a run command script which downloads yarn and cache this.

The latter is some work, but should be straight forward (you can copy the commands from the node js dockerfile).

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.