Output formatting issue when orb has dash in the name

I am testing out orbs, starting with inline orbs as documented at: https://github.com/CircleCI-Public/config-preview-sdk/blob/master/docs/inline-orbs.md
like in that example, I used a dash in the name. However, when there’s an error in the config, both circleci config validate and the web UI parse this oddly:

orbs:
  foo-bar:
    some-stuff-that-obviously-circle-doesnt-like: foo

I end up with an error like:

Error: orbs: foo: -bar0 subschemas matched instead of one
  orbs: foo: -barexpected type: String, found: Mapping
  orbs: foo: -bar6 schema violations found
    orbs: foo: -barjobs: lint: -and-testonly 0 subschema matches out of 2 
      orbs: foo: -barjobs: lint: -and-testexpected type: Mapping, found: Sequence
      orbs: foo: -barjobs: lint: -and-testno subschema matched out of the total 2 subschemas
        orbs: foo: -barjobs: lint: -and-test0 subschemas matched instead of one
    orbs: foo: -barcommands: checkout: expected type: Mapping, found: Sequence

I submitted a support ticket as well, but just figured I’d post here in case it’s any help. To me, this seems like it’s a bad regex or split on the part that prints out the line with the error. If I change the values to something with no dash, the output is more what I’d expect.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report – we’ll take a look.

1 Like

Thanks. Filed a note via support too. Ticket #39809. And they have a gist of the config. Note: I did fix the config itself, so that’s not an issue.