Node-sass problem with angular 7

My team recently upgraded to angular 7, and now i’m running into problems with node-sass (but the same circle.yml file works fine for my coworkers on circle).

Original yml:

- run:
                name: Install Angular
                command: sudo npm i @angular/cli -g

- run:
                name: Install dependencies
                command: sudo npm install

- run:
                name: Node Sass
                command: npm install node-sass@4.10.0

- run:
                name: Rebuild Node Sass
                command: sudo npm rebuild node-sass

and circle failed with:

#!/bin/bash -eo pipefail
npm i node-sass@4.10.0
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules

changing node-sass command to npm install node-sass@4.10.0, results in the following error:

#!/bin/bash -eo pipefail
sudo npm i node-sass@4.10.0

> node-sass@4.10.0 install /home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass
> node scripts/install.js

Unable to save binary /home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/linux-x64-57 : { Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass/vendor'
    at Object.fs.mkdirSync (fs.js:885:18)
    at sync (/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/mkdirp/index.js:71:13)
    at Function.sync (/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/mkdirp/index.js:77:24)
    at checkAndDownloadBinary (/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass/scripts/install.js:114:11)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass/scripts/install.js:157:1)
    at Module._compile (module.js:653:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:664:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:566:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:506:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:498:3)
  errno: -13,
  code: 'EACCES',
  syscall: 'mkdir',
  path: '/home/circleci/cloud-frontend/node_modules/node-sass/vendor' }

then, with some research, i came along this doc, so I changed node-sass command to sudo npm install --unsafe-perm -g node-sass@4.10.0 instead
this time, i finally passed the dependency stage, but tests failed with:

ERROR in ./src/app/shared/alert/alert.component.scss
Module build failed (from ./node_modules/sass-loader/lib/loader.js):
Error: Cannot find module 'node-sass'

i’ve also tried other suggestions such as:

but circle builds always fail at either the installation stage (permission denied) or test stage (no module node-sass)

I would guess that your first npm command has to be sudo because you are installing globally. I think the others should not be sudo, as you are installing locally. I seem to recall the default user is circleci, and if you use sudo that goes up to root. I expect the presence of root-owned files in your project is causing the write permission issues.

thanks for the insight! removing the sudo from the npm install (after removing the folder entirely) actually worked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.