New UI now available for opt-in!

Hi Oleg et al,

We’re rolling this out first to our Beta Program. If you’d like to see it first, sign up for that in your user settings!

After that, we’ll slowly show the button to a randomized set of users via LaunchDarkly, increasing the ratio of showing it over time.

Thanks for being so willing to jump in!

Kate

3 Likes

@Kate_Catlin been waiting for this! Can’t wait to try it out!

1 Like

When joining the beta program, is for the team or for the specific user?

Edit: I see it is limited to the user joining. Which is good for me.

Where can we find the artifacts in the new UI?

Hi Joe!

Thanks for asking. We’re still in the process of building the new UI (it’s in beta) and Artifacts aren’t there yet. They’re a high priority to add back soon.

We heard a lot of feedback regarding the current design for Artifacts, including poor UX with the nesting, lack of discoverability, and wanting to see the artifacts list at the same time as the the step output. As such, we’re moving the Artifacts list to the “Details Sidebar” on the right-hand side when we build it. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s feedback and open to iteration if it doesn’t work for you.

Thanks again,

Kate

Very nice looking forward to test the improvement. I can relate to the feedback but I generally also like the direction it is going.

1 Like

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.

I don’t intent to offend, but…
It is confusing that calling it is a beta less than current features.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to better UI :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve enabled the beta program, but don’t see where to opt-in to the new UI.

Is there something I’m missing?

1 Like

Hi Adam!
Thanks for checking in. Do you also have Pipelines enabled on all your projects or the projects you are currently viewing?

1. Do you have any specific place where you would like some feedback?

At least in the view I have, two pieces of feedback:

– Way too much whitespace between the step and the time.

– What I’ve always wanted is some estimate from the previous build step of the same name for estimated time. e.g. if “lint” takes 40secs and is currently running, it would be nice to know that in addition to “20 seconds elapsed”

1 Like

Hi Kate,

Just wondering if those blue progress icons are based on average job time or last job time?

If not, could the team could look into adding progress bars based on last job time or average job time? It would be really good to look at the workflow and know roughly when it will be done.

Kind of like Jenkins.

Cheers,
Clem

1 Like

Thank you! There should now be a pop-up in the bottom right-hand corner (unless you have pop-ups blocked) where you can leave feedback, or feel free to post again here.

Regarding too much whitespace, we are hearing that feedback quite a lot and getting it changed in the next week.

Regarding estimate of previous build step, this has been a common request but is more difficult than we hoped to implement. It’s still something we want in the new UI but won’t be a short-term addition at least.

The blue progress indicator simply indicates a job in a workflow that is still running as opposed to failed or successful. It’s binary rather than percentage and the icon always looks the same.

However, having some kind of indicator for how close to done it is would be an interesting idea. Doubt we can get to it short-term but good to hear for the long-term.

Can you provide me a specific situation in which you want/need to know when the workflow will be done?

I’ve tried the new UI but I just want to say that it feels kind of unacceptable that the new UI is making my Chrome browser use 20x the CPU compared to the old UI (even when having the live log open). My macbook burns up when I have the tab open (using like 50-70% CPU on a Macbook Pro i7 2015), whereas the old UI seems to linger at around 3-5%. This is not only uncomfortable when having your computer in your lap, it also totally kills your battery.

Didn’t know where to report this so figured this thread is as good as any.

Thanks, Jishi!

We haven’t seen this before. Can you link us to what page you were on? Was it a jobs page or a pipelines page? We’d love to run it on our end and get it fixed for you.

It’s both when listing the pipelines (I guess?) and when watching an individual job, when a job is running:

https://app.circleci.com/github/reformact/elefant-craft-cms/pipelines
https://app.circleci.com/jobs/github/reformact/elefant-craft-cms/106

This is the CPU graph between the new and old ui, when watching a job and having the console expanded (during the same phase), top one is old ui, bottom one is new ui:

1 Like

New UI is missing so much information it’s really hard to give feedback at this point(configuration, parallelism, context, etc, etc).

The new step output boxes appear to be recycling DOM elements. This is preventing searching into the output with the browser search and is a real step backwards in utility…

I can say the new UI feels way less inspired than the current UI. It feels like a very generic Atlassian interface from confluence or something.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the feedback pop-up because of pop-up blockers. I looked for a link to something like this discussion in the (mostly empty) “new look” sidebar, then went hunting manually.

I keep flipping back to the old UI because:

• the tests panel on the new UI doesn’t give me as much info as i’d like. “all passing”, great - how many? when doing initial CI bring-up, i want to validate that it’s actually recording all my tests. the “slowest test” bit was also missing.
  • the redirect blip is distracting. i’d rather land directly on the ui i need to see than go somewhere, then go somewhere else, then finally get to see the build results.
2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll work on getting the test numbers back in. Slowest test will likely come later from our team working on our new Insights API.

The redirect blip will definitely go away in time once we’re ready to switch everyone over to the new UI.

Keep the feedback coming, we appreciate it!

Thanks for voicing this, it’s great feedback. We’re in the midst of overhauling our UI and making it action simple/intuitive/inspired is important to us.

Would you be willing to do a user experience session with us to share more thoughts? Happy to share a $50 gift card as a thank you: https://calendly.com/circleci-xteam/60min