Matrix parameters that reference each other

I’m writing a matrix job definition for running integration tests against multiple platforms (windows, mac, linux). The integration tests are defined as individual commands (test_foo, test_bar, etc.):

# jobs
integration_test:
  parameters:
    platform:
      # type: string rather than executor; otherwise the conditions used below won't work
      # See https://discuss.circleci.com/t/condition-on-executor-type/39711
      type: string
    test:
      type: steps
  executor: << parameters.platform >>
  steps:
    # various test setup steps omitted for brevity
    - steps: << parameters.test >>

# workflows.<workflow>.jobs
- integration_test:
    matrix:
      platform: [linux, mac, windows]
      test:
        - [test_foo]
        - [test_bar]

Unfortunately, my integration test commands take in a parameter to know whether they’re running on Windows or not*. I’m passing in my integrations tests as step parameters, otherwise there is no way of running them; the following is invalid syntax:

steps:
  - << parameters.test >>

If there’s a way to reference commands by name, I’m not finding it in the documentation. Something like:

steps:
  - command: << parameters.test >>

The issue is that I can not alter passed in steps (to add the platform parameter). I can add parameters to the steps in the matrix definition, but those cannot reference the matrix parameters:

- integration_test:
    matrix:
      platform: [linux, mac, windows]
      test:
        - [test_foo: { platform: << parameters.platform >> }]
        - [test_bar: { platform: << parameters.platform >> }]

# Error: Error expanding: integration_test: matrix
# Arguments referenced without declared parameters: platform

* I’m not finding a better way of getting this information. In GitHub actions, I’d use the runner context ( ${{ runner.os }}), but I’m not finding an equivalent in CircleCI. I see there’s a circleci/os-detect orb, but it’s currently lacking Windows support… If I could get access to the platform info in my commands without needing to explicitly pass that in, then I wouldn’t have to pass in parameters in the first place.

My solution is to define two matrices:

- integration_test:
    matrix:
      platform: [linux, mac]
      test:
        - [test_foo]
        - [test_bar]
- integration_test:
    matrix:
      platform: [windows]
      test:
        - [test_foo: { windows: true }]
        - [test_bar: { windows: true }]

And this works! Now the only thing I’d like is a way to alias the step parameters so I could have integration_test-windows-test_foo rather than the current autogenerated integration_test-windows-clojure.lang.LazySeq@752a7358.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.