This upgrade is for customers running machine runners via launch agent. Container runners and machine runners are now built using the same framework. Existing launch agent users will need to upgrade to the new application, but existing Container Runner installations will not require any additional action.
Benefits of upgrading:
Faster feature enhancements:
- Moving forward, we’ll bring many network resilience feature enhancements to both types of self-hosted runners (machine and container) simultaneously.
- We are targeting future support for on-premise storage, decreasing runner costs, faster execution, and improved security.
- Machine runner updates (along with container runners) will now be found in the runner changelog
- With more uniform logs and metrics, CircleCI’s machine runners ensure consistent and reliable performance across environments, providing a seamless experience for users regardless of their runner setup.
- Improved network resilience from bringing machine runners to parity with container runners.
Easier setup and maintenance:
- Linux and macOS packages will allow you to pin and rollback agents as needed when installed via a package manager (Windows requires manual updating). Packages are also signed by CircleCI allowing more confident installation
- OS conventions for installation/log/configuration locations are more closely followed
- Easily integrate with cloud templating tools that already have package management tooling built in
- This allows users to easily integrate with their preferred cloud templating tools, manage updates on their own terms, and benefit from OS conventions for installation, log, and configuration locations.
- Customers can use tools they’re already experienced with to manage when they choose to update their machine runners (vs before when they either updated when we forced them to, or not at all)
This open preview is limited to Linux. macOS and Windows support will be coming when we make Machine Runner 3.0 generally available. General availability is targeted for November.
Runner 1.1 variants will be supported through April 4th, 2024, giving you time to plan a migration.
If you’re migrating from launch agent, follow the instructions in our documentation.