iOS react native build breaking with "assignment to readonly property" and no relevant code changes

We pushed a new build up to circle and it just started failing. The change literally was a single line and has nothing to do with the errors we are seeing. Our project is an iOS react native project and we are building in an OSX container. I’m trying to narrow it down to see what exactly is failing. The thing is that we are using Yarn, which is supposed to lock the versions of our dependencies. Has something changed in the OSX container on Circle in the last day or so? Comparing a breaking build to the latest successful build we see the following:

Successful Build:

[12:57:38]: ▸ Compiling RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m
[12:57:38]: ▸ :warning: /Users/distiller/mobile/node_modules/react-native-fbsdk/ios/RCTFBSDK/share/RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m:78:15: ‘contentDescription’ is deprecated: contentDescription is deprecated from Graph API 2.9 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
[12:57:38]: ▸ linkContent.contentDescription = [RCTConvert NSString:contentData[@“contentDescription”]];
[12:57:38]: ▸ ^
[12:57:38]: ▸ :warning: /Users/distiller/mobile/node_modules/react-native-fbsdk/ios/RCTFBSDK/share/RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m:79:15: ‘contentTitle’ is deprecated: contentTitle is deprecated from Graph API 2.9 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
[12:57:38]: ▸ linkContent.contentTitle = [RCTConvert NSString:contentData[@“contentTitle”]];
[12:57:38]: ▸ ^

Failing Build:

[16:13:39]: ▸ Compiling RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m
[16:13:39]: ▸ :warning: /Users/distiller/mobile/node_modules/react-native-fbsdk/ios/RCTFBSDK/share/RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m:78:15: ‘contentDescription’ is deprecated: contentDescription is deprecated from Graph API 2.9 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
[16:13:39]: ▸ linkContent.contentDescription = [RCTConvert NSString:contentData[@“contentDescription”]];
[16:13:39]: ▸ ^
[16:13:39]: ▸ :x: /Users/distiller/mobile/node_modules/react-native-fbsdk/ios/RCTFBSDK/share/RCTConvert+FBSDKSharingContent.m:78:34: assignment to readonly property
[16:13:39]: ▸ linkContent.contentDescription = [RCTConvert NSString:contentData[@“contentDescription”]];
[16:13:39]: ▸ ^

1 Like

Hi, I ran in to the same issue as well suddenly. Did you end up finding a fix for this?

@kbeckmann We actually created a ticket with Circle and they’ve been helping us for the last 2 days. They said that nothing changed on their end. We can build locally no problem but not with Circle.

@kbeckmann could you please point me to one of your builds? Would like to take a look at yours as well in order to see if there is anything that I might have missed on @andresfcamacho ones.

Thanks,
Constantin

@anon47539524 Sure, is there anyway for me to reach out to you directly? Can’t figure out how to send direct messages in this forum :slight_smile:

@rcarvalho: Just solved the issue. Feel kinda embarrassed about the solution but it turns out we had pinned the version of react-native-fbsdk which stopped being api compatible with the facebook sdk that CocoaPods pulls in.
Solution: Use react-native-fbsdk 0.6.0.

Woah. I could have sworn the first thing we did was try and upgrade. But yeah upgrading to 0.6.0 worked for us as well. Thanks @kbeckmann!