Intermittent Cannot assign requested address - connect(2) for "localhost" port 9252 errors

Hello,

I am attempting to use parallel_tests gem with my ruby rspec builds. I rightly ran into issues starting / stopping my elasticsearch server during test runs when I initially had the port hard-coded to 9250 (port conflicts). I then used the ENV variable provided by parallel_tests to dynamically choose a port number for starting the Elasticsearch server, something like port: 9250 + ENV["TEST_ENV_NUMBER"].to_i.

It now chooses a unique port number for each parallel run, but I am now receiving intermittent failures when trying to start the server:

Errno::EADDRNOTAVAIL: Failed to open TCP connection to localhost:9254 (Cannot assign requested address - connect(2) for "localhost" port 9254)

Even if the test suite has not previously started any Elasticsearch server, I still get intermittent failures when trying to use these dynamic port numbers (note: I’ve never had issues just starting from port 9250).

I’m hoping for some insight on what would prevent Elasticsearch server from starting on ports specifically 9252, 9253, 9254.

I’ve found that my elasticsearch servers were getting killed by docker OS due to low memory. I decreased parallelism and used a larger executor and it seems more stable now. Feel free to close!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.