How to install php-imagick PHP extension

Hi, everyone.

As you can see I am new to CircleCI and am facing an issue when trying to install “php-imagick”.

The building process says that the extension could not be found. So far, I have tried these:

• run: sudo docker-php-ext-install php-imagick
  • run: sudo apt-get install -y aptitude
  • run: sudo aptitude install -y php-imagick
  • run: sudo apt-get install -y php7-imagick
  • sudo aptitude -y install imagemagick
  • sudo aptitude -y install libmagickcore-dev
  • sudo aptitude -y install libmagickwand-dev

Neither one above is working.

Thanks

Did you try any of the solutions shown in this GH issue?

Also can you clarify what you mean when you say “its not working” – like does the command not run, or fail to install, or something else?

Believe you need to install with PECL and then enable with docker-php-ext-enable

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y \
    libmagickwand-dev --no-install-recommends \
    && pecl install imagick \
	&& docker-php-ext-enable imagick

I’m not in front of my setup right now so can’t test, but give something like that shot. If it doesn’t work, let us know which base image you’re using and what else you are installing into that base image (if anything).

2 Likes

I had to use a newer container. The one I have now has ubuntu 16 and all php related installed. The one provided by circle ci has a really old linux dist.

That solved my issue.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Please keep in mind that we use the official language images from Docker Hub which all appear to be based on Debian Stable.

This is true for all languages, so other folks might run into these sorts of issues on or off CircleCI when using the “official” language images.