Git clone randomly fails when building pull requests from forks

For my project I have set up a build on the master branch, and for all pull requests. Most of the time this works, but every now and then the build fails for a specific commit with an error along the lines of:

Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address 'x.x.x.x' to the list of known hosts.

remote: Counting objects: 12110, done.        
remote: Total 12110 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 12109        
Receiving objects: 100% (12110/12110), 4.01 MiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (8222/8222), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address 'x.x.x.x' to the list of known hosts.

remote: Counting objects: 17, done.        
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.        
remote: Total 17 (delta 11), reused 17 (delta 11), pack-reused 0        
Unpacking objects: 100% (17/17), done.
From github.com:org/repo
* [new ref]         refs/pull/26/head -> origin/pull/26
fatal: Could not parse object '5d373232b78aeb52fe1fd20c4032cb2a2df6ec5b'.
Exited with code 128

Adding a random commit that barely changes anything usually fixes this, but it’s obviously extremely tedious to run into randomly breaking builds.

I’ve already added a user-key rather than the standard repository key for a user that has sufficient permissions to access the forks these pull requests originate from, but that didn’t seem to fix things either.

Is there anything I’m doing wrong, or am I correct in thinking this is a bug in CircleCI?

This has been mentioned several times here, I think this one is the canonical copy.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.