Fetching $CIRCLE_TAG doesn't seem to work

During the checkout process, it looks like CircleCI is basically executing the following sequence of commands:

git fetch --force origin "refs/tags/${CIRCLE_TAG}"
git reset --hard "$CIRCLE_SHA1"
git checkout -q "$CIRCLE_TAG"

Unfortunately, I get an error message when it tries to checkout the tag.

error: pathspec 'release-2017-12-22T15_28_47-05_00' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Exited with code 1

Any idea what’s going on here?

1 Like

Does this tag exist on the GitHub side?

Yes, absolutely. This is a build that’s triggered by a tag filter in the first place. I’m working around the issue by using my own checkout commands where I run git fetch --all to pull all tags before checking it out. It’s a crude solution, but there’s absolutely no question that the tag does in fact exist.

This answer on StackOverflow seems relevant. It suggests that the line in the script should be

git fetch origin "+refs/tags/${CIRCLE_TAG}:refs/tags/${CIRCLE_TAG}"

so that Git is forced to create or update the tag name in the local repository. The existing line obviously works for most people, but this is something that depends on the git version.

4 Likes

Hi, I confirm that this bug is still around. Can you please fix this or at least, explain why this is not already fixed ? It seems like an easy patch for a nasty bug.

Thanks !

3 Likes

Hi, just to re confirm that the bug is still present. I’m trying to migrate from v1.0 in which we used to release after tags release-xxxx… But v2.0 seems not playing well with tags yet…

The job is triggered by a tag in github. Here the last lines from circleCI

if [ -n "$CIRCLE_TAG" ]
then
  git checkout -q "$CIRCLE_TAG"
elif [ -n "$CIRCLE_BRANCH" ]
then
  git checkout -q -B "$CIRCLE_BRANCH"
fi

^D^DWarning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '192.30.253.112' to the list of known hosts.

remote: Counting objects: 15, done.        
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.        
remote: Total 15 (delta 6), reused 14 (delta 6), pack-reused 0        
Unpacking objects: 100% (15/15), done.
From github.com:Geovation/refill
 * tag               release-test-4 -> FETCH_HEAD
HEAD is now at 9def7ac bump (#380)
error: pathspec 'release-test-4' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Exited with code 1

thanks

ok… after digging, I’ve found the solution in another thread: Builds using git tags failing

you just need to disable caching git.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.