Failed to create a vm: instance not ready yet: unassigned

On Saturday I had this build failure on a scheduled Docker executor:

Allocating a remote Docker Engine
Waiting for a Docker Engine assignment: ....................................................................................................
Got error while creating host: failed to create a vm: instance not ready yet: unassigned
We had an unexpected error preparing a VM for this build, potentially due to our infrastructure or cloud provider.  Please retry the build in a few minutes

I am just re-running the workflow and I assume it will be fine, but just noting it here in case someone wants to look into it.

We’ve been getting these repeatedly all day

The error begins with

Build-agent version 1.0.20256-a974d64b (2019-11-20T23:18:03+0000)
Creating a dedicated VM with xcode:11.2.0 image
Waiting for a VM assignment: ........................

for us

@Ilias It looks like you may have been hit by an incident that was affecting macOS builds: https://status.circleci.com/incidents/5w9wld4fyvhl Please let us know if this is still an issue for you!

@halfer Was this a one-off or has this continued to happen? I can’t see an incident that aligns to the date when this happened for you :thinking:

Hiya. This was just a one-off. When I spotted it I did a manual re-run and it was fine.

Interesting! If it does happen again, please feel free to reach out to support so we can look into this in more detail :slight_smile: