Error deploying to GAE using the CircleCI documentation

Hi, I’m using the Docs for deploying to Google AppEngine (https://circleci.com/docs/deploy-google-app-engine) but running into an issue.

Per the Docs I am deploying using this command:

echo $APPENGINE_PASSWORD | $HOME/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.30/bin/appcfg.sh update gae_dist/ --email=$APPENGINE_EMAIL --passin

I believe the issue might be that my $APPENGINE_PASSWORD has a " " in it…which is causing the recommended command to fail. does that sound like it could be a reasonable root cause?

Here is the output from the DEPLOYMENT phase in CCI:

echo $APPENGINE_PASSWORD | $HOME/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.30/bin/appcfg.sh update gae_dist/ --email=$APPENGINE_EMAIL --passin 
Dec 04, 2015 5:34:17 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1 run 
INFO: Created user preferences directory. 
Please enter code: Either the access code is invalid or the OAuth token is revoked.Details: invalid_grant 
.[13145:13145:1204/053418:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(173)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
echo $APPENGINE_PASSWORD | $HOME/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.30/bin/appcfg.sh update gae_dist/ --email=$APPENGINE_EMAIL --passin returned exit code 1
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":99". Action failed: echo $APPENGINE_PASSWORD | $HOME/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.30/bin/appcfg.sh update gae_dist/ --email=$APPENGINE_EMAIL --passin

That is an interesting thought, could you try to change the password temporarily to something without a blank space to see if that makes a difference. If so, we should find a better way to handle this.

I just tried this in circle with a java app and I got the same error. my password has no spaces.

Is this still possible or is this type of deploy to app engine no longer supported by google?

did anyone manage to find a workaround to this?

I got this sorted.
--service_account_json_key_file=key.json
include that and you’re good to go.